Leafrollers

whitecap2May 8, 2012

Having perused the results of a search here on leafrollers, I'm left with the impression that orthene / acephate is the most effective control, followed by BT. I've found a Bonide product, Systemic Insect Control, a concentrate containing 9.4% acephate. Is this what I need? The only leafroller listed in the product use guide is "oblique banded leafrollers," which may not be the ones I need to be concerned about. The guide also doesn't list canna as an appropriate plant for use of the product.

Anyone have any idea how long it takes this stuff to become effective, or whether overtreatment can damage a plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canna2grow

Acephate has been the most effective liquid "systemic" control of the lesser canna leaf roller I have found and used for many years. I have tried many other products. Once the chemical dries on the foliage, it is absorbed and distributed to the growing plant. I prefer to spray late in the day when bees and other beneficial insects are less active. Do not apply near fish ponds etc. Stay out of the damp foliage until it dries. Effectiveness duration depends on growth rate and temperature. In most areas, reapplication may be needed every two to three weeks.
Because the lesser canna leaf roller is not exposed directly to a typical dust or spray, a systemic control is the most useful. BT may work fine for the greater canna leaf roller because if openly feeds on exposed leaves but it does require frequent application. It seldom reaches the lesser leaf roller.
I have never seen phytotoxic injury from acephate on cannas. I am not familiar with the product brand listed so please read and follow instructions carefully.

Kent

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 12:42AM
whitecap2

"Lesser canna leaf roller," that's the one, thanks.

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 8:02AM
lou_texas(8a N Central TX)

Kent, do you add a surfactant to your spray? Maybe a mild dish soap? How much? Thanks, Lou

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 3:32PM
canna2grow

I have always used a surfactant (wetting agent) with acephate. Of course I have/had access to commercial surfactants but you are correct in suggesting a mild soap. As I recall, others have use liquid Ivory soap. I think you might try about a tablespoon to a gallon. There should be a slight sudsing action but not like washing dishes!! Kent

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 2:12AM
More Discussions
cannas
I was given some cannas bulbs recently, which mean...
naturesign
When right time to cut down
I have about four or five Canna's growing in a 3' x...
boothbay
Looking for unusual cannas
especially with variegated leaves...have lots of tropicals...
Frank Flanagan
canna fermentation to make ethanol
I have read that some farms are using canna rhizomes. Does...
dirtaddshp
Re-starting tubers after cold storage
Hi, I think I've managed to over-winter my canna tuber....
dee_can1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™