Bay Laurier Bush & Brown Scale

AaronRWiseJune 18, 2012

Last summer I purchased a bay laurier bush and repotted it. at the end of the summer I brought it indoors and it seemed to do fine.

Sometime over the winter it got brown scale and I didn't notice till about a week ago (after I brought it outdoors). I've washed the plant, wiped every leaf and the stem and removed the vast majority of the scale. I'm scared I missed a small section and it will take over again.

I've seen some sites say to dip a cotton swab in rubbing alcohol and then wipe the leaves/stems. I'm scared of poisoning the plant by doing this. Has anyone tried it?

I don't want to use any harsh chemicals, as I'll be using the leaves for cooking once it gets really growing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dianasan(z5a Mtl)

Alcohol will not harm plants such as bay, jade, cactus and such. I know because I've used it to clean off scale as well as mealy bugs on houseplants. Just be sure not to soak the plant in it and do not rub too hard or you might damage the plant.

Alcohol leaves no residue as it evaporates quickly and completely. So it's probably safe to use the leaves in cooking.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 10:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AaronRWise

Thanks Diana - I'll get to it as soon as it cools down a bit.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 12:46PM
More Discussions
Does anyone know what's up with Spring Garden.ca?
Hi, I'm waiting on some bittersweet vines that I've...
lilies_and_roses
Tayberry plants
Hi fellow garderners, I used to order Tayberry plant...
maskoutain
Help me kill the Goutweed (Aegopodium)
Further to the post regarding the sale of goutweed: Please...
vicki_vale
Yacon
I posted this on the wrong side :( so here goes again. Is...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
weed or no weed?
approx 4 ft tall any info appreciated
ralu25
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™