New to Cannas

westiesamMay 8, 2006

I want to plant a Canna in each of two containers for the front of my house along with some geraniums and nicotiana. I can buy a Canna plant that is already about 12" tall for about $8.95. Or I can buy some bulbs at Lowe's for alot less. Will the bulbs (or rhisomes) grow quickly or would it be better to get the already growing plants? Thanks for a silly question from a newbie.

Sharon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
micke(6)

Cannas grow pretty quickly (and they get very tall if you fertilize) but if you are like me and can't stand to wait for bloom you better go w/the 12" one, make sure you bring them in and store them when it gets below freezing or they will die. (the rhisomes)

Bookmark   May 8, 2006 at 4:06PM
zitro_joe(8)

Since you are located in a Z4. Buy the cannas already growing you'll put yourself at least a month ahead of schedule since your growing season is so short.

Fertilize'em with a lower nitogen, I use 8-20-20 slow release pellets. The will multiply fast, make sure you container i slarge enough to handle the growth. I would not use anything smaller than a 12" pot. I used an 8" clay pot last year, I always meant to re-pot but never did, anyhow the cannas busted the pot into pieces later in the fall. Have fun.

Joe

Bookmark   May 8, 2006 at 4:29PM
micke(6)

I use horse manure (I've got plenty of that!) I don't have to worry about how much fertilizer i'm adding that way (it don't burn) and the results are still excellent!

Bookmark   May 8, 2006 at 6:26PM
westiesam

Thanks to all for the information -- I'll think I'll go with the "already growing" plants. I am planting them in 24" diameter containers - so I hope they do well. I've always thought they were such a beautiful plant. If it works, I'll post pictures later.
Joe - what type of fertilizer would that be? I normally use Miracle Grow Plant food, but it doesn't have those same numbers.
Sharon

Bookmark   May 8, 2006 at 7:16PM
zitro_joe(8)

A local comapny here makes the stuff I use. Miracle Gro works fine. It just has a little higher Nitrogen level than I like. I think they have a slow release pellet that is 10-10-10. The higher nitrogen doesnt really burn the canna, it elongates them. I like my cannas with plush foliage. I used composted manure this spring in some containers and it is doing wonders to those plants. I am already having blooms!

Joe

Bookmark   May 9, 2006 at 12:36AM
wanna_run_faster

Also, just a word of advice from one canna newbie to another... :) please read the excellent information on identifying the canna virsuses so you don't take home an infected one.

Bookmark   May 9, 2006 at 5:59PM
lee466

I have cannas that I got from my neighbor a year ago, and they grow very fast, a canna that my neighbor has is suppose to get 8' tall and it got nearly 12' tall, she put it in a warmer spot in her yard with lots of afternoon sun, and she did not give it any plant food. I got plants that were growing that I got from lowes, and I planted some of the bulbs in the ground and they bloomed at the same time. here in zone 6b my neighbor leaves one of hers in the ground in a protected spot all year.

Bookmark   May 11, 2006 at 12:41AM
More Discussions
Canna - Clay Soil _ Fertilizer
I have a clay soil. What type of fertilizer would help...
canna1915
Canna from seed - percent success rate?
Hi! About 1 1/2 weeks ago, I prepped and planted canna...
kelli08
Leaf rollers
I had one canna this year that had leaf rollers in...
goldenbuckeye
how fast do cannas grow from seed?
I have filed some seeds as well as the edges of my...
christie_sw_mo
Leave turning yellow & brown
Hi all I'd like some help please. About 6 weeks ago,...
Spotteddog101
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™