overwintered cannas

telamin(z7 DC)May 9, 2006

Greetings

Last fall I dragged my pots in the garage and allowed my cannas to dry out over the course of two months. I finally digged, divided and stored them in baggies with perlite. I had four pots of Canna Wyoming and one Canna Musofolia. I carried the baggies into the basement, which gets some light from windows on the western exposure. As a result, my canna musofolia grew all winter, without any water... and not just shoots, I have big leaves that are a pale green color. My Canna Wyoming grew little shoots, but they dried out and for the most part look really craggly right now.

It still gets pretty cold in central Ohio at night, so I'm waiting until June 1, to pot my cannas and bring them outside. When I do repot them, I need to know if I can just cut all the little shoots and leaves off beforehand or will that slow the regrowth process.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annzgw

Since the growth appears weak, I would just cut it off when you plant them and allow them to start over.
If the growth is a couple of inches, then I'd leave them alone and just pot them up.

Bookmark   May 16, 2006 at 11:31AM
More Discussions
Suggestions please!
Have 30 inch tall black self watering planters. Any...
aggot
Looking for unusual cannas
especially with variegated leaves...have lots of tropicals...
Tropical Gardener
i have seeds if you would like some
not sure how it works on here but i have plenty of...
knobrocker
Canna - Clay Soil _ Fertilizer
I have a clay soil. What type of fertilizer would help...
canna1915
Wanted 2 foot canna
I'm looking for a dwarf canna that only gets about...
goldenbuckeye
Sponsored Products
Tropical Garden 17-Bulb Set
$19.99 | zulily
Black Knight Canna Root - Set of Five
$15.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™