Cereus monstrose 'Ming Thing'- Do you own one?

plantomaniac08(8)May 22, 2013

I recently recieved a Cereus validus f. monstrose 'Ming Thing' as a gift and was having a difficult time finding pictures online of large specimens (I'm curious what it looks like when it gets "big"). If you have a photo, would you mind sharing (even if you don't consider it a "large specimen," I'm still interested in seeing yours)?

Also, how slow/fast does it grow? Any slower/faster than the "average cactus"? I've never been much for monstrose cacti, but a gift is a gift. ;)

Planto

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alkh86(9)

I just rescued one from Lowes this past weekend. I will post a pic when I get home. I too would love more info on this variety.

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 10:46AM
plantomaniac08(8)

Alkh86,
Can't wait to see your picture!

Planto

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 11:15AM
alkh86(9)

well he's a little guy, not a large specimen by any stretch, but I'll be happy to share some pics anyway. I was able to google image search a few larger specimens, some that even have huge, freaky, deformed flowers. I can only hope that on day my little guy shows off like that

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 12:45PM
plantomaniac08(8)

alkh86,
Oh, those are interesting. Guess those flowers will make up for it's... odd look. ;)

Planto

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 2:38PM
kaktuskris(5)

Here is mine, still a wee one, however. Tom on this forum has a nice big specimen, I know...

Christopher.

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 4:31PM
alkh86(9)

Here's my new little monster.

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 5:54PM
alkh86(9)

And his little buddy

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 5:55PM
plantomaniac08(8)

kaktuskris,
Thanks for sharing! How long have you had yours? I hope Tom posts a photo of his, as you mentioned he has a large specimen. :)

alkh86,
Yours looks a little more filled in at the base than mine, should make a nice specimen when it gets older (I'm afraid mine is going to look more like a tree lol). What's that second picture of? I've seen it before but can't quite put my finger on it...

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 6:13PM
alkh86(9)

The label says: Crested Echinopsis /
Caterpillar Plant

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 7:12PM
plantomaniac08(8)

Hmm... I wouldn't have guessed Echinopsis. I'm not much for crested cacti either (I know, I'm picky lol), but I actually like yours.

Planto

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 7:46PM
TT, zone 5b MA

Not sure about the 'Ming thing' with mine, but here it is hanging in my now empty sunroom...

âÂÂ"

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 7:57PM
petrushka

they are pretty slow growing.
mine bloomed after 10 years with me and it was a big plant when I bought it: about 18".
it's called night blooming cereus - the flower opens for just one night.
it needs south window to bloom. mine is now in the west and it stopped blooming.
here's the photo of the biggest one I've seen in Bronx botanical garden in nyc. don't know how old it is.

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 8:36PM
hanzrobo(11)

Hi guys! I'm pretty sure we're talking about 2 different plants. I'm not huge into cacti but I do have a 'Ming Thing', or what was sold under that name at L O W E S. I don't think it ever gets that big. I know there are at least a few different types of monstrose Cereus.

Here's my 'Ming Thing', had it for about 3 years, happily lives indoors near a south-facing window, has grown imperceptibly. I included this salty little fish for reference... chomp, chomp!

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 9:20PM
kaktuskris(5)

I have had my plant a year or two, and I don't know if it is the same as yours, hanzrobo, but I have definitely seen some growth on mine.

Christopher

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 10:37PM
plantomaniac08(8)

tom_termine,
Not sure if yours is the same as my plant, but whatever you have there, it's impressive! Has it ever bloomed for you?

petrushka,
Well, I hope mine doesn't take more than 10 years to bloom... it's only about 4 inches tall! It's too bad the closest botanical gardens here doesn't have cacti or succulents, I'd love to see something like that in person.

Ryan,
Wow, that's tiny for 3 years of growth. :P I put mine outdoors with my other cacti so maybe I'll notice some growth by this time next year hehe.

Christopher,
Even if it's not the same, do you have a photo you'd like to share?

Planto

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 11:00PM
kaktuskris(5)

Planto, my photo is in my first post above...

Christopher

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 6:26AM
plantomaniac08(8)

Christopher,
Oh... ah ha... ah... ha... Sorry about that. This is why I should go to bed when I'm tired instead of attempting to read. I do remember seeing your picture and responding to. *sigh* And, I re-read your post from last night... you were mentioning to Ryan you weren't sure if it was the same as his... not directed to me and Ryan.

Again... Sorry, I apparently should have called it a night sooner than I did. Your monstrose has quite a bit of growth on it already IMHO. I should post a photo of mine. I'll do that later. :)

Planto

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 6:48AM
petrushka

yep, mine is a different cereus, but they all have similar giant flowers that open for 1 night only.
I looked up 'ming thing' it seems to be a dwarf variety. 12"-18". also for some reason some sites state part-shade for it.
I guess in AZ everything needs part-shade :0.

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 12:28PM
plantomaniac08(8)

petrushka,
Oh, that's nice to know about being a dwarf variety. I don't think I'd have the room for anything as tall as some of the previous pictures. Hehe, our patio probably feels like AZ in August. I have it with my other cacti, but it's in a more shady spot with a couple succulents.

Planto

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 1:23PM
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

I have looked at this plant on the logees website and i SHIVERED!!!!!!!!! I can see why this plant is a good collectible but it is not a plant to make it in my beautiful succulent collection

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 2:33PM
plantomaniac08(8)

Teen,
I couldn't find it ('Ming Thing') on Logees, are you referring to the two Epiphyllums they have (night blooming cereus)?

Planto

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 4:01PM
Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6

I had one for a few years. Grew very slowly and looks different and was told it was Cereus peruvianus Montrose, then Cereus fernambucensis f. cristate. I cut it up and gave out all the pieces here and on another garden web site. Supprised no one post theirs here yet.

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 6:24PM
plantomaniac08(8)

Ok, here's a picture of my 'Ming Thing' as promised.

Planto

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 8:25PM
plantomaniac08(8)

Stush,
That's one large cactus! Granted, I'm not surprised... you have some rather large Sans. :)

Planto

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 9:53PM
kaktuskris(5)

So maybe mine isn't a 'Ming Thing' as it seem to be branching out, not staying in a small clump...

Christopher

Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 10:40PM
plantomaniac08(8)

Christopher,
Yours looks like one to me. I don't know much about these (hence the OP), but yours just looks like a taller version of mine IMHO.

Planto

Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 11:27PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Here is my "Ming THing". What do I have to do to make thiss thing grow!!! He is pretty in the setting sun.

Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 2:44AM
fieldofflowers(3 or 4a)

Posting a bit late. I might have bought mine around the time this was posted if that counts. Mine is marked Cereus 'Ming Thing Mini'.

When I first looked it up, I couldn't find much info. I still don't see much info. I figured it must be kinda rare but I see it being pushed at our local garden center. At least what appear to be three different sources or brands. I could have bought a bigger, bushier one than mine, for about three dollars but I passed. One is enough..but looking at the blooms on this post, lol, now I almost regret that I didn't grab another.

Anyways I must be doing something right. It hasn't died yet. It wants to grow roots in the air along its base. I'm keeping it under direct fluorescent light and watering when it feels dry or the pot gets really light when lifting.

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 8:37PM
bsmith717(6)

I like that mini. The others arent really my taste.

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 2:56PM
oldstumpy1

I like little trees myself

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 3:57PM
norma_2006

I noticed that the flowers were monstrose as well, I have never seen one in flower. I have seen several. Those all look great. Norma

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 11:04PM
rina_

Richard

Very nice tree...btw, do you sculp too? Or is it my imagination - something dark on your table/shelve (on left of the photo) looks like a face to me...Rina

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 8:37AM
oldstumpy1

Rina

No I don't sculp what you see on the shelf is a pair of rolled up glass gloves I use to repot cactus with.
succulent are my only vise
Richard

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 7:28PM
rina_

gloves!...I am seeing things...lol
Rina

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 11:56PM
paul_(z5 MI)

Here's mine. Been a very slow grower for me, too.

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 10:57PM
violetlovers1

Hello,
I have recently acquired four Ming Things and two Curiosity plants. This afternoon I noticed white spots on all the plants and wondered if anyone knew what I was dealing with. I have never owned these plants before and thought perhaps it was mealy bugs but that scenario does not seem to fit the picture.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Bookmark   December 21, 2014 at 5:34PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

My ming thing does not have white fuzzies so I think they could be mealies. You could always try to kill it with alcohol and a systemic and see if it goes away.

Bookmark   December 21, 2014 at 8:31PM
More Discussions
Waves and Ripples: A Study in Contrast
My Waves and Ripple Jades side by side... Christopher...
kaktuskris
When do I start watering after re-potting?
I will be re-potting my plants into the gritty mix...
blaquepua
leaf/plant id
Does anyone know what this is? Picked it up of the...
amynoacids
Unable to find decomposed granite - sub granigrit?
Hi folks! Trying to get the Cheiridopsis mix going...
Bama_Joe
Any experience with black spots in jade when pruning?
Anyone seen this? Fresh cut... Some said on another...
deva33 Z5 SE Iowa
Sponsored Products
Cereus Outdoor Torch - 5'H
$499.00 | FRONTGATE
Night Blooming Cereus Abstract Wall Art by Kurt Shaffer - KS061-C1624GG
$57.99 | Hayneedle
Night Blooming Cereus Wall Art by Kurt Shaffer - KS060-C1624GG
$57.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™