Oklahoma Hailstorm and Cannas

johnburnsMay 17, 2010

Yesterday we had a hailstorm in Oklahoma City which literlly shredded my cannas which were about 10 inches high. I have applice Osmocote 14-14-14 (slow release) to try to help them, but my question is, should I trim the shredded leaves, cut the cannas back at the ground, or just leave them alone and allow them to recuperate? Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canna2grow

John,
I would remove all the shredded leaves and depending on how crippled each plant may be I would likely remove all foliage within about 4 inches of the soil line. You typically will see new growth within a few days at this time of the year. The damaged areas (if not removed) opens the door for bacterial or fungal infection. I am sure your plants will quickly recover.
Good luck,
Kent

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 9:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnburns

Kent, thanks for the reply. I removed the shredded leaves which were not salvageable and the foliage within 4 inches of the soil line as you suggest. They already look better - just the removal of the "dead" foliage did wonders for the way they look. Hopefully, with some decent Summer weather now, they will be as pretty as they were last Summer (my first year with cannas). Appreciate your advice. Thanks!

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 9:52PM
More Discussions
WANTED: cann's
looking for all colors of Cana. I have other flowers...
Susan Levy
Leaf rollers
I had one canna this year that had leaf rollers in...
goldenbuckeye
my Canna look horrible, please help
New homeowner here, and I a ton of Canna growing on...
bgaviator
Help with Canna Seeds
I scarified my Canna seeds and then soaked them for...
cba2014
Canna - Clay Soil _ Fertilizer
I have a clay soil. What type of fertilizer would help...
canna1915
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™