Canna Australia

miclino(5)May 27, 2012

Planted some canna australia bulbs purchased from Brenand Becky's with over a foot of foliage. It is in full sun, well drained with hot afternoon sun. I grew regular cannas in that location last year.

After two weeks, the leaves look like they are greening a little bit. In addition, some of the smaller outer leaves have shrivelled and dried up. The rest of the foliage however is erect and not droopy. I was watering daily initially but have eased off due to concern of overwatering. Now its every third day although they sprinklers hit it 3 times a week as well. The soil was layered with compost before planting.

Any ideas? I can post pics.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
miclino(5)

Here are the pics

By miclino at 2012-05-27

By miclino at 2012-05-27

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 7:50PM
canna2grow

Sorry, I am slow to respond to your post. Your C. Australia appears fine to me. The lower primary leafs often die back. Hopefully by now the night temperatures have become more attractive to normal growth and you are seeing normal growth. As temperatures increase I think your red leaf color will become more pronounced.
If you suspect other problems, update with questions and photos. Kent

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 10:48PM
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

My "Australia" plants have been a consistent deep purple in leaf since they emerged in May, but maybe our early heat wave had something to do with it (we've had both abnormally cool and warmer than normal temps since then).

As to your watering, there's no way to tell what soil conditions are like under that mulch without checking.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 5:44PM
texasredhead(z8Texas)

You have them planted rather close. These are 6' plants. Check them at Horns at cannas.net.

Bookmark   August 19, 2012 at 1:36PM
More Discussions
i have seeds if you would like some
not sure how it works on here but i have plenty of...
knobrocker
storage of cannas over winter
I have have over 50 cannas that were dug up winter...
notenoughtimepegster
When right time to cut down
I have about four or five Canna's growing in a 3' x...
boothbay
Leaf rollers
I had one canna this year that had leaf rollers in...
goldenbuckeye
cannas
I was given some cannas bulbs recently, which mean...
naturesign
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™