canna growing

teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)May 15, 2012

I an a thirteen year old gardener

new to growing the beautiful canna flower. can someone givs me advice. I been growing flowers since I was three and has always been good at it

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grullablue(5)

I'm betting once you start with them, you will fall in love like I have! I only have a generic green one, Australia, and this year bought Pink Sunburst and Pretoria (Bengal Tiger). I also have a Cleopatra, that's just beautiful. I just planted the cleo and pretoria in the ground this afternoon. They spread like mad...or mine did anyway, and they are just so pretty, I'd love them even if they didn't flower! But they flower off and on throughout the season.

Cannas like sun, and a lot of water....but they have to be dug up in the winter....I let the frost kill the foliage last year, then dug up the tubers. I just ended up leaving the tubers in a pail....and around March they started growing for me...so I potted a few up. Now they're outside.

I really think they are a great plant, I love them, you always know a bed of cannas when you see it!

Angie

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 9:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lou_texas(8a N Central TX)

Cannas are one of the easiest plants to grow. Don't stint on the water and give them plenty of sun if you want blooms - semi-shade will just give you gorgeous foliage).

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 3:22PM
More Discussions
WANTED: cann's
looking for all colors of Cana. I have other flowers...
suzen221
Wanted Cannas
I have ginger and amaryllis and would love to trade...
nancy1fl
Looking for unusual cannas
especially with variegated leaves...have lots of tropicals...
Frank Flanagan
Three weeks, 6 of 16 germinated
I started mine this year on jan 1. I scarified and...
bragu_DSM 5
canna fermentation to make ethanol
I have read that some farms are using canna rhizomes. Does...
dirtaddshp
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™