Strawberries + greenhouse = WHOA!

merricat(Zone 3a Canada)July 4, 2006

I wonder if I'll EVER have a gardening year where my strawberries don't go off and do strange alien-mutant things...

I had planned on putting everything together with my strawberry barrel (I posted plans here, let me know if you want them and I'll repost the link). It's a great idea, but we're ripping out the deck right now and things are crowded. The berries had been buried in the yard (in pots) for the winter, and almost as they were unearthed they were already putting out flowers. I decided to just cut all runners and put them in our little cheapo-greenhouses so I'd be able to keep an eye on them. I didn't expect much: just for them to survive so I could properly plant them next year.

That was 4 days ago. I've just brought in a huge basket of berries, and more should ripen tomorrow. They LOVE their small pots and hot house. Many itty bitty offshoots are already starting to put out flowers.

I may have to rethink this barrel idea. I can't imagine them doing any better than they're doing now.

A nice surprise....for a change!

Love,

Merri

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
onewheeler(Z5 N.S.)

Oh I wish I had some of those strawberries now, seems I missed the season altogether this year. Had a few baskets of them and kept thinking I would make jam tomorrow, well everytime I went to buy more they were either sold out or none came in. Darn, I love strawberries, they are my favorite fruit.

Valerie

Bookmark   July 21, 2006 at 7:53PM
More Discussions
test
test
Nitefall
Greeting from new gardener from Newfoundland !!!
Hey, Everyone here im very very very excited to find...
ivy_huan
Charisma Lilac
I bought and planted two Charisma lilacs in May 2010....
Mary.13
Online irrigation stores?
I've posted a similar message on the irrigation forum....
Sherwood Botsford
overseeding a lawn in vancouver
Hi all, My front yard is... a mess. The house is new...
dalans
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™