Red Lily Beetle

rscreesJuly 15, 2010

I mixed together vinegar, anti-bacterial dish soap and water and "dunked" a red lily beetle in it then watched the life drain out of it. I got another one and put it in the same container but before I could "dunk" it the life had drained out of that one too. I mixed together a bigger batch and sprayed my lilies from top to bottom as well as the surrounding soil (it rained about an hour after I did this so the plants got a good rinse - not sure if this mixture can harm the plant if left on for a long period of time). It has now been 4 days and not a single beetle, or larva, sighting. Hope this works for everyone!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marricgardens

Thanks! I'll give it a try. Marg

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 9:08AM
dianasan(z5a Mtl)

I think the rain saved your plants by washing off most of the vinegar solution.

I use vinegar to kill unwanted weeds and it's very effective. If you don't want to spray Raid or use Neem oil, then I suggest a solution of dish soap and vegetable oil and no vinegar.

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 4:35PM
dianasan(z5a Mtl)

Meant to say a solution of 2 tsp dish soap, 1 TB oil and 1 litre of water.

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 5:07PM
diane_v_44(Z6)

I am getting tired of fighting the battle this year with the red lily beetle
Fortunately most of my lilies are already bloomed or blooming or near blooming

As the flower finishes I have been cutting off the flowers, stripping off all the leaves and just leaving the long stem standing

I know , I know that is not the right thing to do
But, I figure the stem is there to feed the bulb and my soil is very rich
As well I don't have to watch that particular lily plant for those darn bugs
Seems everyday and more than once a day you have to watch for them

I hate to give up on lilys as they are so gorgeous and did manage quite well this year.
But seems to me they are never completly, GONE just waiting for you to give them a break and they can get on with multiplying

Bookmark   July 18, 2010 at 10:56PM
dianasan(z5a Mtl)

diane_v

I pick my lilies too to enjoy indoors. They a make beautiful, long-lasting bouquet. I leave as much of the stem and leaves on the plant as possible, but I've never had any problem with my bulbs comiing up year after year.

About the lily leaf beetle, there was a garden expert/horticulturist on the radio yesterday and he said that sprinkling coffee grounds on the soil around your lily bulbs in the spring will 'confuse' the lily bugs. I don't know if he meant to say that they fly away or are too confused to mate, but it's worth a try.

Bookmark   August 29, 2010 at 10:58AM
momsuperdawn_yahoo_ca

we now have the red lily beetle here in Mt.Uniacke N.S. Canada, it has killed off most of the many lily's that my mom has planted, she to is desperately trying to get rid of them.

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 5:03PM
More Discussions
Looking for a Scuffle Hoe
Hello everyone: The new anti-pesticide laws have my...
northerner_on
very good price for seedling heat mats
Home hardware has the 10" x 20" seedling...
dowlinggram
Weeping Mulberry
My fruiting weeping mulberry cracked at the head, presumably...
gastonal
hardy annuals
hey all i live on vancouver island, just wondering...
tomlinson04
Greeting from new gardener from Newfoundland !!!
Hey, Everyone here im very very very excited to find...
ivy_huan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™