My zuccihinis are all man...Help!

LilacIsLove(5a)July 16, 2011

So I have nice big zucchini plants with lots of flowers. The problem is, all the flowers are male! Even the ones developing don't have the tell-tale signs of being female, and I opened the flowers that have fallen off already, and they are male too! What is going on?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dianasan(z5a Mtl)

The 2 types of flowers are easy to tell apart. The male flowers grow on a thin stem, while the female are attached to the back of a mini zucchini. Both have similar sized pale orange or yellow petals.

How many zucchini plants do you have? You need both a male and a female flower open at the same time in order for pollination to occur and for the plant to set fruit. If you have two or more plants, you have better odds.

I have 4 plants and have harvested 4 zukes in the past week, and there are eight more which will be ready in the coming days. I must admit, that I do kind of help the process along by hand pollinating the open female flowers in the morning by transferring some of the pollen from the male flowers to the centre of the female flower. But you don't have to do this, especially if you have a lot of bees around.

So be patient. It'll happen eventually, even if you have just one plant.

Bookmark   July 16, 2011 at 9:51PM
LilacIsLove(5a)

I have 3 plants, and I'm willing to hand pollinate, just in case. I need some female flowers first though! XD I hope some pop up soon.

Bookmark   July 17, 2011 at 3:05PM
ianna(Z5b)

If they are all male flowers, it would seem impossible to hand pollinate. You can harvest the flowers and stuff and fry them. very yummy

Bookmark   July 17, 2011 at 4:05PM
dianasan(z5a Mtl)

Maybe a dose of Epsom salts would help. One tablespoon at the base of each plant before a good watering. Or maybe a high-phosphorus or 'starter' fertilizer would boost bloom production therefore increasing the odds of female blooms.

Bookmark   July 18, 2011 at 11:09AM
botabill

The first flowers on zukes are always male flowers. In a week or so female flowers appear to produce the baby zukes unless your soil is poor or the plants haven't enough water. Sounds like your plants are healthy so I would suggest time will solve your problem.

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 8:41AM
LilacIsLove(5a)

You're right, thanks! That's exactly what happened. In fact, I'm making zucchini bread today! ;)

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 6:04AM
More Discussions
Wish there was a local plant coop plant/seed group near
What I mean is a group that could pool cash togther...
krystarz
hardy annuals
hey all i live on vancouver island, just wondering...
tomlinson04
very good price for seedling heat mats
Home hardware has the 10" x 20" seedling...
dowlinggram
Hi from Alabama, I have a question about immigration...
Hello Everyone, I've been lurking here reading your...
STROBE
Innovative New Plant Pot
Hello fellow garden enthusiasts! We are college students...
bcitco
Sponsored Products
Diamond Sofa Tanner Sofa Loveseat Two Piece Set In Black
Beyond Stores
Montclaire Mystic 10-Light Chandelier
$799.90 | Bellacor
Freejack LED Ecran Pendant
Lightology
Elevate Aluminum Bar Table in Silver
$159.00 | LexMod
Set of Two Cordless White Garden Window Swags
Grandin Road