Cannas in the ground in Northwest GA?

organic_gardenhag(7)June 8, 2013

I brought my cannas here in from IL in pots overwintered in the garage. I have since lost them for whatever reason. I can not break my practice of putting them in pots. Having never planted them in the ground. Don't know what I need to do to prepare the ground and how to treat them. They seem to thrive. On neglect out there in the red clay, and I do not want to kill them with kindness, or give them the wrong environment and encourage disease or pests. Just give me a tutorial, that would be great.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
organic_gardenhag(7)

Who has their cannas in the ground here in NW GA, please raise your hand? I want to get these babies in the ground, and don't want to learn from experience.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 1:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canna2grow

Well I am not growing cannas in NW GA, but growing cannas in your location is not much different than growing in IL. You will have a longer growing season and MAY choose to leave the cannas in the ground providing they are well mulched and not in a soggy soil setting (winter).
Cannas grow quite well in clay soil but these soils can present some challenges. Heavy clay soils are difficult or nearly impossible to work when wet; hard as a brick when dry. The clay tends to run together and become sealed and clump preventing water penetrating in the summer; often stay wet and tight in the winter. In other words, many clay soils are very low in organic matter. You may consider removing the top 6 to 8 inches of your soil and replacing it with a decent loam or something you would use in containers. You may simply mix plenty of organic compost into you canna bed. At the very least I would suggest that you lightly mulch the bed to aid in holding soil moisture.
Fertilizer needs are always determined by available nutrients of your specific location but you can always start with a light application of balanced N-P-K or what worked in your containers.
You will very likely have to deal with one particular pest of the southern canna grower; the lesser canna leafroller. I can only recommend the use of a good systemic insecticide if you expect to grow reasonably clean plants; otherwise your plants will suffer the results. Best,

Kent

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 11:28PM
More Discussions
Not to brag, but...
I scarified 12 canna seeds (very common old-fashioned...
tomtuxman
how fast do cannas grow from seed?
I have filed some seeds as well as the edges of my...
christie_sw_mo
knobrocker
When right time to cut down
I have about four or five Canna's growing in a 3' x...
boothbay
Suggestions please!
Have 30 inch tall black self watering planters. Any...
aggot
Sponsored Products
Fretwork Solar Lantern Lamp
Grandin Road
Oxford Stripe Runner 2'3" x 8' - BLUE/GREEN
$239.00 | Horchow
Jasmin Dust Ruffle
$19.99 | zulily
Campania International Oscar The Gargoyle Cast Stone Garden Statue - S-336-AL
$174.99 | Hayneedle
Cassara 60" Round Outdoor Dining Table Cover - Sand
$369.50 | FRONTGATE