Start Canna's by Seed Now?

eigdeh(z6 NJ)June 18, 2010

I have read recommendations to start canna seeds in January or February by filing the shell, soaking them, and planting them under lights. I read that if this is done one should have flowers the first season.

Obviously it is too late for this, but I was wondering if it is possible to start seeds now and if so would I be ahead of the game for next year to have flowers? Would the Rhizomes form before frost here in NJ and if so would they flower sooner than starting from seeds in January?

Thanks!

Ken

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canna2grow

Ken,

Your concerns are well taken in regard to your growing area. If you lived in the Gulf States or the Southwest, you could likely succeed with decent results. Starting canna seeds in your growing area at this time would be possible but risky. The biggest problem is the ability of the plant to mature to a size that would develop a large rhizome system capable of sustaining itself over the long winter months.
If it is of interest, I have canna seedlings blooming at this time and they germinated in mid March. Seeds started early and grown indoors in a warm sunny location will often bloom as rapidly as field planted rhizomes. The unknown is the speed of getting good, rapid germination of the seed and the somewhat slower development of the seed rhizome growth verses the conventional vegetative produced rhizome.

Kent

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 11:47PM
eigdeh(z6 NJ)

Thanks Kent!

I guess I will wait till the mid winter to plant seeds as it seems to be the better option. I had someone ready to send me seeds that he gathered from last years crop. I will ask him to send me some from this years plants and start them indoors in March.

Ken

Bookmark   June 21, 2010 at 2:23PM
wanna_run_faster

If you're going to keep them in a pot, I think you'll be ok as long as you take the pot in for the winter. :)

Bookmark   June 22, 2010 at 3:42PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

I think is best to keep them in a pot now anyway so they get the right nutrients and stay nice and warm so you can easily sow them now and let them grow and just bring them in when frost comes. Then you can keep them growing during the winter and int he spring they will be ready to go and they might even flower in early spring if your lucky!

Bookmark   June 22, 2010 at 5:05PM
eigdeh(z6 NJ)

Thanks guys!

Bookmark   June 29, 2010 at 1:23AM
More Discussions
Wanted Cannas
I have ginger and amaryllis and would love to trade...
nancy1fl
Wanted 2 foot canna
I'm looking for a dwarf canna that only gets about...
goldenbuckeye
Suggestions please!
Have 30 inch tall black self watering planters. Any...
aggot
When right time to cut down
I have about four or five Canna's growing in a 3' x...
boothbay
Looking for unusual cannas
especially with variegated leaves...have lots of tropicals...
Tropical Gardener
Sponsored Products
American Fluorescent | Century Outdoor Sconce
$178.20 | YLighting
Whitney Brothers Car Mirror Wall Display - WB1343
$106.99 | Hayneedle
Illumine Outdoor Lanterns. 1-Light Outdoor Rustic Sienna Lantern with Clear Seed
$65.99 | Home Depot
Robert Abbey Aiden 12 1/2" High Aged Brass Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
Cappuccino 16-bottle Wine Rack
Overstock.com
Progress Lighting Posts Westport Collection Antique Bronze 1-light Post Lantern
$82.89 | Home Depot
Stanley Coastal Living Resort Haven's Harbor Night Stand Channel Marker 062-13-8
$755.98 | Hayneedle
Sea Gull Lighting Wall Mounted Lambert Hill 1-Light Outdoor Black Wall Fixture
$62.91 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™