canna pretoria

v1rtu0s1ty(5a)June 17, 2009

My pretoria on ground on a full sun location grows slowly. My black knight are already 12-14" tall. However, my tallest pretoria is only at 8 inches. The rhizomes were planted at the same time.

Is this normal? Is there anything I can apply to make it grow faster?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicalzone7(7b)

I have a pretoria too and its not growing too fast. I think I have it in too small of a pot. My canna wyoming is growing lighting speed and seems to be enjoying the cool rain that wont go away. It looks like it might flower in the next week or two. My wyoming was planted about a month later than my petoria and its about 2 1/2 - 3 feet tall (not counting pot) and my petoria is about 1 1/2 feet tall (not counting pot).

Bookmark   June 18, 2009 at 7:41PM
bubba62

'Pretoria' (aka 'Bengal Tiger' - its more "politically correct" name) is typically not one of the taller cannas; I would expect Wyoming to be taller at this point. Mine (which are perennial here) top out at about 5', and that's only when they're in bloom; the flower scape adds a couple of feet.

Bookmark   June 19, 2009 at 3:33AM
cannacrazy(8 SC)

My Bengals did not even bloom last year. This year they are soooo happy. Take a look ...

I've sprayed several times this year with Miracle Grow and this is how the rest of my cannas look.

Bookmark   June 20, 2009 at 2:47PM
v1rtu0s1ty(5a)

I'm now thinking how the folks who planted the pretorias at United Center last year got the Pretorias really tall.

The label says 6-7 ft tall.

I'll try adding more miracle gro fertilizer.

Thanks!

Bookmark   June 20, 2009 at 9:59PM
More Discussions
When right time to cut down
I have about four or five Canna's growing in a 3' x...
boothbay
Leave turning yellow & brown
Hi all I'd like some help please. About 6 weeks ago,...
Spotteddog101
Re-starting tubers after cold storage
Hi, I think I've managed to over-winter my canna tuber....
dee_can1
Canna ID (1)
Hello, I don't know the name of some of my cannas....
sleuthtl73
Wanted 2 foot canna
I'm looking for a dwarf canna that only gets about...
goldenbuckeye
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™