New to Canna's

CJ-Speciosa(7a)June 13, 2014

So I've just picked up a few of those for containers placed around my pool. (Canna var. Phasion) I think they are fantastic looking. I have a few that have bloomed and am wondering if after they are done blooming, if that particular "stem" is done flowering?

It appears that once a growth blooms, that's it for that growth. Am I correct in assuming that?

Also, if this is the case, do they just continue sending up new shoots that subsequently bloom all summer long? Should I cut down the spent stems after blooming to encourage new shoots?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canna2grow

C J,

Typically most canna cultivars will produce two to four flower heads per stalk. Each flower cluster is produced on separate short stems arising off the main stalk. It is permissible to carefully remove (cut) the smaller off-set flower stem but do not cut the main stalk at this time. As your plant continues to produce new stalks and foliage the original stalk may be (if you chose) totally removed near the base of the plant once that stem has completed its flowering cycle.

For first timers, it might be best to simply remove each individual bloom after it begins to wither or dry without cutting any stems. It becomes readily apparent how and where to remove the spent flower clusters with a little experience.

For those who wish to harvest seed you do not want to remove the flower clusters because the seed pods form at the base of each flower. Canna var. Phasion aka Tropicanna is sterile and will not produce viable seed.

Kent

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 10:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CJ-Speciosa(7a)

Thanks! So will I be able to see the new flower head growing up after the last flower cluster has fully bloomed?

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 7:24AM
More Discussions
Suggestions please!
Have 30 inch tall black self watering planters. Any...
aggot
Wanted Cannas
I have ginger and amaryllis and would love to trade...
nancy1fl
My first Canna blooms ever! NOID. Proud momma!
Just wanted to share the gorgeousness but if anyone...
vega-lyrah
Three weeks, 6 of 16 germinated
I started mine this year on jan 1. I scarified and...
bragu_DSM 5
knobrocker
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™