Hello from Long Beach

CodyjpMay 13, 2014

I just finally signed up to this site after reading for a few years through google searches.

We live on a 8600sf lot in Long Beach and have owned our place for 2.5 years. So far we have 9 citrus, 2 avocados (Carmen Hass and Fuerte), a mango, 2 peach/nectarine/plum graft conglomerate things, 2 apples, kiwis, hops, olives, veggies, grapes, bananas plumerias and pomegranates. We also have a thriving and ever growing succulent garden that my wife is looking after. Also we have 2 bee hives, one that we will keep, and another that needs a home.

The avocados are our best crop. I picked my first Carmen hass fruit 2 years to the day from it's first planting and my fuerte set fruit after 2 years. The carmen is truly a beast, everything as advertised and more. My mango is going gangbusters even though it's just been in the ground a year this week. I have 6 fruit on it and it's growing like a weed. Once I figured out my citrus needed water and TONS of nitrogen they've taken off. My peaches and apples are more interested in death than growing, as are my kiwis. I think they must be emo. My hop plant thinks it's ground cover and also isn't interested in living in the heat. Otherwise, we've taken to planting our front gardens with a combination of a few 'pretty' plants and lots of herbs and veggies. All of the fruit trees are in my front yard and so far the neighbors seem to be quite intrigued by the orchard and are clueless to the fact that our 'flower' garden is actually our food garden.

Anyway, I'm hoping to do some learning, teaching and maybe even some trading.

-Cody

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SweetTreesSomis(9b)

Great job Cody! Sounds like y'all are swimming in lots of tasty fruits and veggies, enjoy!

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 5:33PM
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23 USDA 9)

Hi Cody. Glad you joined. Sounds as if your garden and orchard are thriving. I have never met anyone else in SoCal that had a hop. Mine was not any more fond of the climate, but it was an experiment. I often try growing new plants just to check them out; many of my favorites have been discovered that way! Hope you share more about your gardening experiences in the GW forums.

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 8:35PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

I've been interested in the Carmen-Hass, good to know it's been successful for you. I know several people with successful apples, so keep trying.

Welcome, enjoy, keep posting! :)

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 10:54AM
samvee

Hello from Pasadena. I would like to purchase a Carmen Avocado Tree. Can you tell me where you got yours? What size was it when you planted?

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 11:18AM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

samvee, there's a new garden center on Tustin & 17th in Santa Ana that will have them. Problem is, it's not quite open for business. Call and see if they have them in stock, if you want to drive that far...

Here is a link that might be useful: LHN reopening in Santa Ana

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 6:06PM
dretutz

If Gary is opening LHN (again!) that is extraordinary good news. His dad's nursery in Lake Forest was the best and Gary has incredible knowledge. When the father died, the siblings sold the property and Gary has been hopping around since. I do hope this is true.
The lakeland grapes and red sufflolk he grafted are tip top producers with very wonderful and sturdy fruit. He picked the right variety peach 15 years ago for my microclimate.
I will be all over this location and keeping fingers crossed.
Laguna Beach here.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 11:42PM
More Discussions
Orange tree questions re fruiting, blooming and harvesting
hi all, we moved to a place with a really old orange...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
New home owner... looking for gardening ideas...
Hey everyone. I am a new home owner... there is currently...
Joseph Wind
Please Help: Sheet Mulching leads to Bermuda Grass Nightmare!
Ok so we decided to lose our lawn "The Bay Friendly...
ktgrandy
California to be a tropical climate within 50 years.
I heard that on the news last night. By 2060 Soucal...
stanofh
Victoria Red Grape source?
It looks like Double A isn't shipping to California...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™