Hard to kill & Productive Tomato varieties to grow in Central Val

sumith2008(9)May 9, 2013

I live in the Central Valley. It gets really hot quickly and I am looking for solid tomato varieties that set & produce well. At the same time looking for plants that have decease resistance. My goal is to test out root stocks for some tomato grafting.

Can anyone list any favorites that never fail (for the most part) year after year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sautesmom

I don't know if any tomato is more "hard to kill" than others, but hot weather tomatoes is a frequent topic on the tomato foum, but of course most of those people live where their experience is heat = humidity, so their answers really don't apply to our weather.
Here is my list from 13 years of growing in Sacramento:

Large varieties for hot weather (above 100 degrees):

Mexico, Giant Belgium, Stump of the World, Marianna's Peace, Big Beef, Brandy Boy, Boondocks

Medium varieties: Stupice, Jetsetter, Arkansas Traveler, Burgundy Traveler, Manalucie, Moskvich, Orange Russian 117 (altough these can grow to beefsteak size), Peron, Jubilee, Heidi

and

just about all cherry/grape tomatoes.

And FYI I have found that it does help with fruit set if you shade them in the hottest part of the day, and hose them down with cool water when the humidity is low.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 7:43PM
More Discussions
Is there an "easy" red Kangaroo paw???
I planted 2 "Big Red" KP about a month ago....
Sabine Halfhill
Native ground cover for San Jose area
Hello! Would love some suggestions for a Bay Area (inland)...
Sheila Schmitz
Ground cover for erosion control?
I am looking to plant a hillside with something that...
Sabine Halfhill
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
Mango trees in SoCal?
Has anyone successfuly grown any type of mango tree...
wetfeet101b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™