Gooseneck loosestrife

antjenny(7)July 24, 2012

I have a newly rooted plant cutting. It is currently in a plastic pot. Is it best to leave as is until spring? At that time plant in ground? I do not know the best way to care for my plant. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ninamarie(4Ont.)

It's extremely hard to kill and in many areas is considered an invasive plant, though it is lovely in bloom. I would plant it in a large bucket with drainage holes in the garden and keep an eye on it to be sure it does not overstep its bounds. Most plants are better in the ground than in a pot, but in this case, it does depend on how well-rooted a piece you have.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 9:53AM
nBoer(6a)

Agree with ninamarie, better to put it into the ground soon and let it establish before winter than not. A lot of underground "runners" grow now, while little changes on the top during this time of the year. Mine survives some heavy shade at a base of a large tree, but is not overly aggressive (perhaps because of this shade) Its tough, but keep watered for a few days after planting and you should have a bit of growth and much better spring.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 12:27PM
josephines123 z5 ON Canada

Take heed to ninamarie's advice: PLANT IN POT. This one takes off and keeps running..unless you have lots of space. I had a beauty and really loved the gorgeous flowers, but it took over aggressively.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 6:07PM

My response is way outdated....but may help another gooseneck loosestrife lover.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 6:09PM

My response is way outdated....but may help another gooseneck loosestrife lover.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 6:10PM
ninamarie(4Ont.)

I had thought I had eradicated this plant from the garden at least five years ago, but probably even longer than that. But it has made a comeback this spring - and in force. Appeared as if from nowhere and a sizeable clump at that.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 10:52AM
yugoslava

I loved flowers on mine but when I saw how it spreads, got rid of it. Every time I see it elsewhere I wonder if people know what they got. I have a male Kiwi vine, once I also planted hops, that is out. Kiwi I keep in check, flowers and foliage on it are lovely but you have to control it. Virginia creeper (no wonder it's called a creeper) took off, climbing everywhere, got rid of that too. Honeysuckle is not much better, love the smell but it grows like crazy.

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 3:35PM
IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.

Love the plant and the way it looks.....once you understand how it spreads, it is easy to take a spade in the spring and dig it back, thus containing it....

Ian

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 6:05PM
More Discussions
Hey, where'd the Canadian Exchange go...
It seems to have disappeared.
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Yacon
I posted this on the wrong side :( so here goes again. Is...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
What to do with a swampy yard - new homeowner needs ideas!
My yard is a wet sponge. I have a lovely crop of skunk...
jbobs
Toronto cold alert deaths vs Vancouver palm trees
Cold can hit the west coast an throw snow on the palm...
Paul_Ont
Canada Blooms in Toronto
Good day all, I've just found a possee of gardening...
Justine_London
Sponsored Products
Brushed Nickel Whitehaus WHLX79214 Gooseneck Widespread Bath/Kitchen Faucet
$349.00 | Blue Bath
Radial White 16-Inch Outdoor Wall Light
$213.95 | Bellacor
Remer by Nameeks N75US Single Handle Kitchen Faucet - REMER N75US
$402.98 | Hayneedle
Lite Source Kris Retro Chrome Gooseneck Black Desk Lamp
$54.00 | Lamps Plus
Sebastian Wall-Mount Exposed Pipe Shower & Gooseneck Tub - Cross Handles
Signature Hardware