Question about first fall frost date..?

BigN_187(9)May 12, 2013

According to the calculator on this website, I am located in zone 9. According to one other resource (it was a USDA map, or calculator, I can't remember which) I am located in zone 8a.

First of all, which is it really? My zip is 93614.

Second, when can I expect the first fall frost? From what I've read (sources vary in information) it seems it should hit sometime between early/mid November or (very) early December. Sound right?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wcgypsy(10 / Sunset 23)

First Fall Frost listed as being between Nov 1-10

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 8:42AM
calistoga_al

Records have kept by your county extension service. In any one county the frost pattern may vary widely. Low areas called 'frost pockets' are common in most areas of varying elevation. Your local information is best, but it is only an average, meaning the actual date is variable. Al

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 10:12AM
socal23(USDA10/Sunset23)

Your first fall frost date could fall anywhere from mid-October to mid-November, but the average is probably around the first. As Al notes, because you are in a foothill region, the average first frost date for your specific site may differ markedly from the average for your area. Well-drained slopes with a southerly or westerly aspect may experience a killing frost weeks after adjacent low areas.

Ryan

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 10:25AM
More Discussions
Echium wildpretii. "Tower of jewels"
Anyone have experience with these? I planted seeds....
llilibel03
New home owner... looking for gardening ideas...
Hey everyone. I am a new home owner... there is currently...
Joseph Wind
You can look up your water company on this site
Here's an interesting site where you can look up your...
socks
Northern California Roll Call!!!! 2.0
Did I miss it? Part 1 was closed http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg1019364625268.html?150 Nanelle...
nanelle_gw
Mother Nature Fooled the beans, Now Hurry Hummingbird it's up to you
Well the beans have come out of their husky winter...
Wild Haired Mavens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™