Cannas

klively(7)June 24, 2013

I had planted canna's in my flower garden when we moved into our house about 5 years ago and last year I dug them up and divided them because they were over crowded. My question is; Is it possible for the flower to change color because of soil nutrients because when I transplanted the canna's they were all red and now the ones I moved are yellow, has anyone else had this happen to them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canna2grow

You are not the first, it has been claimed to have happened by others (very rarely).

Technically when we have vegetative reproduction we can expect the offspring to be clones of the parent and cannas unlike hydrangeas will not change color based on soil conditions to any noticeable degree. Discounting some radical sort of mutation (very remote) we can usually find a logical explanation; sometimes maybe not.

Are we talking about digging only a few or dividing several dozen plants to transplant? Did you leave any in the original bed? Can we identify the cultivar (name-variety)? Did your cannas produce seed pods with viable seed that fell to the ground? Do you protect your canna bed from freezing? Do you remember seeing rogue plant/plants in the previous years?

As you can see, there are many potential factors that MIGHT explain your situation. It would be very beneficial if we had some good before and after photos of the cannas. As unlikely as you may think, there is likely a simply explanation; we simply may not find it.

Sorry,

Kent

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 11:14AM
More Discussions
Re-starting tubers after cold storage
Hi, I think I've managed to over-winter my canna tuber....
dee_can1
Leave turning yellow & brown
Hi all I'd like some help please. About 6 weeks ago,...
Spotteddog101
Canna from seed - percent success rate?
Hi! About 1 1/2 weeks ago, I prepped and planted canna...
kelli08
When right time to cut down
I have about four or five Canna's growing in a 3' x...
boothbay
Wanted 2 foot canna
I'm looking for a dwarf canna that only gets about...
goldenbuckeye
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™