Strange Caterpillar

gldno1August 24, 2010

I found 4 of these on my 4 0'Clocks this morning. Does anyone know what they are? From August 2010

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gldno1

I forgot to mention is is quite large 3-4 inches long now.

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 11:09AM
tdogmom(9)

White Lined Sphinx Moth (Hummingbird Moth) :)

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 11:55AM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Oh, you lucky girl! I've wanted these for soooooooooo long and have yet to cultivate them in my garden. My 4 o'clocks did not come back this year, so will have to plant them next year. I want to plant the white flowering ones to attract the sphinx moths at night to nectar.

Congrats!

Susan

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 12:49PM
gldno1

Thank you so much. I have seen the moths! I just couldn't get a picture of one.

There are seeds all around these that look like I have sprinkled pepper. I will move some around a little more so they won't be out in the grass at the edge of the bed.

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 2:15PM
bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)

Gosh, what a TREMENDOUSLY terrific find! Wow! I have never seen them. Wow. Lucky you indeed!! Nice pic!

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 3:52PM
windstorm86(z5MO)

I had a visit from one the other day-er,evening. It was different from the other ones I have seen. It actually looked like a moth. The others looked exactly like a hummingbird,colored green and had little black tail feathers, except they had antenna. I thought I was seeing things so I looked it up in the library. This one flew from the petunias in the flower box to the rose of Sharon. I would liked to have taken a picture of it but I was trying to keep the cat from catching it.

Bookmark   August 28, 2010 at 2:32PM
kr222(6b)

That is a wonderful discovery! What an excellent picture! I haven't seen one in the caterpillar stage before. I took a hike the other day and found two interesting cats as well. Your posting made me want to share my pictures. I just posted them a minute ago. It's so fun what you can find hiding in nature!
Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden and caterpillars

Bookmark   August 28, 2010 at 7:56PM
More Discussions
Commercial grown Milkweed
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/02/27/mega-grower-color-spot-nursery-to-consider-growing-clean-chemical-free-milkweed/...
arkpollinator
Florida Butterflies.
I have posted before. I live in Sarasota, Florida and...
jane__ny
Spring preview
Unseasonably warm temps caused early flowering of desert...
joncongaroo
Any one ready for spring?
I'm so done with winter! I'm ready for spring . This...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Host Plants by Butterfly species
Well, everything is new here. Will post this to see...
mary_littlerockar
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™