Canna Blooms fall over???

brothersun_tx(z8a TX)June 22, 2006

Hi, I posted tis on the Gardening in Texas Form because I thought it may have to do with the Texas Climate, but I have one particular Canna that since day one of planting has a problem of the bloom (actually the bud) falling over. The plant itself looks very healthy, but just as the shoot rises and last a couple of days, then it falls. I have other types, colors, etc.. that seem to do just fine, but this one particular Canna. It had beautiful, deep red, silky looking flowers and I would love to see them stand up. Any suggestions??? Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skygardening(z9 FL)

I have seen several on the canna sites that do that. Maybe it is just that cannas characteristic.
Sky~~

Bookmark   June 25, 2006 at 12:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brothersun_tx(z8a TX)

Thanks Sky, I've wondered if it's this certain type too. Not a very good trait. But, it seems that in the week or so since I posted this, I have had a few blooms that stayed up right. These seem to be the first to sprout in spring and then seem to bud very quickly, almost as though the plant is growing too fast and blooms before it can handle the weight of it's on bloom. I've noticed these last few are shorter stalks (for lack of a better word) and the blooms are staying up. The mystery continues... Thanks and peace..

Bookmark   June 29, 2006 at 11:09PM
More Discussions
i have seeds if you would like some
not sure how it works on here but i have plenty of...
knobrocker
Canna from seed - percent success rate?
Hi! About 1 1/2 weeks ago, I prepped and planted canna...
kelli08
Suggestions please!
Have 30 inch tall black self watering planters. Any...
aggot
Leave turning yellow & brown
Hi all I'd like some help please. About 6 weeks ago,...
Spotteddog101
canna ratty
Hello my canna were divided and split and cut back...
dennisoates
Sponsored Products
30 in. Rooster with Metal Feathers - 53275
$99.99 | Hayneedle
Cosmic Canna Specialty Wall Art by Kurt Shaffer - KS008-C2232GG
$78.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™