Too Late to Plant Cannas?

East_Texas_Melody(Z8 East Texas)June 4, 2006

We have obtained a variety of cannas, they are like bulbs but I donÂt think thatÂs what you call them. The bulbs are properly stored IÂm sure of that but what I donÂt know is that if itÂs better to plant them now or should we wait until spring? I would love to go ahead and get them into the ground now. Thanks for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annzgw

I'd plant the rhizomes now and enjoy them the rest of the summer.
We've had a wet, cool spring and mine are just now showing a couple of leaves so it's definitely not too late.
Just be sure to water them regularly.

Bookmark   June 5, 2006 at 1:34AM
keithrnjd(7b)

I just planted some here in NC, and I have planted them as late as July and they did fine.

Enjoy!

Sally

Bookmark   June 5, 2006 at 7:55PM
skygardening(z9 FL)

In zone 8 I would think you wouldn't even have to lift them this winter. Check that out to make sure. You have plenty of time to see them bloom.

Bookmark   June 5, 2006 at 10:34PM
East_Texas_Melody(Z8 East Texas)

They are in the ground! I couldn't wait after I got the go-a-head! I plan on trying to keep them in the ground this winter. Thanks for all your help and suggestions!!!

Bookmark   June 5, 2006 at 10:46PM
annzgw

I'm also in a zone 8 and leave mine year round and they always return. I either mulch or leave the dead stalks and leaves on the ground to act as a mulch, then I clean it off early spring before the rhizomes sprout.

Bookmark   June 5, 2006 at 11:13PM
whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio

I'm in zone 5. I have planted as late as july and still got blooms. I even had a few overwinter in the ground this year.

Bookmark   June 8, 2006 at 2:48PM

Hard to believe but when I planted them 3 short days ago they were not as well preserved as I thought and a few were sprouting... long story short I have one that has poked through the ground! I'm so excited! Thanks for all your advice!

Bookmark   June 8, 2006 at 3:16PM
joannla(8LA)

Melody,where in east Texas?Im from Shreveport,La.I havent found a Canna I could killyet,here in this area.Im always moving plants around and planting all summer.I usually try to put some of each type of canna in the full sun,and in an afternoon shade area,the ones infull sun are usually a bit shorter than the ones in afternoon shade,I dont water a lot,I hate to baby plants,and I have never lost any.I got 3 Bengal Tigers last spring,now I have al least 50,and have given many away.You definetly want to leave them in the ground around here,I still had some blooms in mid DEC last year.Good Luck!!

Bookmark   June 27, 2006 at 12:28AM
wallis104

Melody - you and I have similar topics posted.... This is my first time with these bulbs... Isn't it exciting ???

I've planted 9... each one has about 3 or 4 leaves now...

In my original post, I just mentioned a "mishap"... today, my neighbor happened to run over 2 of the plants with a lawn mower.. They're now about 2-3 inches high - wonder if they'll still grow....

Can't wait to see them when they reach full bloom - be sure to post photos if you get a chance....

Enjoy !!! ~~ janice ~~

Bookmark   June 28, 2006 at 11:09PM

Joannla, I live in Tyler and love it. IÂm from the Dallas area and wouldn't go back. Last weekend I actually went back to the store and they had their cannas on for cheaper this time so I bought more to fill in the ones that I think where rotted from before. Anyway they havenÂt started coming up yet but IÂm sure they will. This batch looked much better than the first and about half of those first ones are peaking through now. My husband bought a Tropicana for for my birthday, it's about a foot or so and I noticed today there is another sprout coming up! We paid more for that one the we did our first batch of cannas. I looked up the Bengal Tigers and they are beautiful! I think what IÂd like to start doing now that I have a start is add some less common every year. I think the leaves are as beautiful as the flowers. I hope mine multiply just as fraction as much as yours did. When you leave them in the ground do you cover them? We were thinking of buying some hay or something.

Janice, yes it is very exciting. I go outside to check on them before work, when I come home for lunch and then again several times before dark. What kind did you plant? I hope you have gotten an answer about your "mishap"... IÂm sure they will be alright, they sound pretty tough. Oh IÂll post plenty of photos, you do the same.

Have a safe and fun 4th!!!!!!!!!
Melody

Bookmark   June 29, 2006 at 7:48PM
joannla(8LA)

Hi,Melody!!I love taking the Grandbabies to the zoo in Tyler!!
I only mulch my "special" Cannas ,the plain old fashioned orange ones I have been gradually moving out of the garden area to hide a chainlink fence at the back of our property,I dont worry about them and from the looks of things they are happy that way.I usually mulch with chopped leaves,just vacume them up with the leaf blower/vac and empty it around the beds,I get leaves from my DDs house as well.

Good luckwith your Cannas,there are so many different types they will keep you wanting more!!

Bookmark   July 1, 2006 at 11:24AM
More Discussions
Leave turning yellow & brown
Hi all I'd like some help please. About 6 weeks ago,...
Spotteddog101
i have seeds if you would like some
not sure how it works on here but i have plenty of...
knobrocker
knobrocker
Looking for unusual cannas
especially with variegated leaves...have lots of tropicals...
Frank Flanagan
Re-starting tubers after cold storage
Hi, I think I've managed to over-winter my canna tuber....
dee_can1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™