Eggplant

marricgardensJuly 30, 2012

I have never grown these before. I've always considered them to be a pest magnet. Lately I've been considering trying them so I looked them up in the catalogue. Does anyone grow Rosa Bianca? Do they like growing where its hot? Any tips? Marg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luckynes13(6a)

I can tell you they are easy to grow. Related to the tomato. Also very good to eat.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 8:48AM
jeffthibert

Having a great year with my eggplant. I'm growing Vitttoria Long Italian from the OSC catalogue. Very prolific. And no problems with pests.

Chop and marinate for 5 mins in 1/4 cup each of honey and soya sauce with some garlic and chilli flakes. Saut� for 5 minutes and eat over rice.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 10:01AM
marricgardens

Thanks for the info.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 10:31AM
Slimy_Okra(2b)

Marric,

I'm growing eggplants here in Saskatchewan. One of them is Rosa Bianca, although this is the first time I'm growing this particular variety. It's not as productive as the hybrid Japanese/Indian eggplants, but it is fruiting right now.

They love, love, love heat, but you shouldn't have problems in Southern Ontario. Your summer days and nights are MUCH hotter than ours by far, and you have longer summers as well. Around here, summer begins June 30 and ends on August 10. Well, it often feels that way :)

The main pests are flea beetles and colorado potato beetles. Just avoid planting them near brassicas or potatoes.

I start them April 10th and transplant outside June 10th. You can probably do it 10 days earlier.

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 7:25PM
More Discussions
Help Me Please Identify Unknown Plant
Hi, there is an unknown plant growing in my garden....
petra.gombos
BC palm trees VS S. ON polar vortex
Us poor residents of Toronto have suffered a bad winter...
Paul_Ont
weed or no weed?
approx 4 ft tall any info appreciated
ralu25
Yacon
I posted this on the wrong side :( so here goes again. Is...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Yacon
Is anyone growing this vegetable in Canada? It's a...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™