Canna Virus in the Soil?

nicolo(7)June 16, 2006

Last year, I had three divisions of a canna variety in a large planting bed that I suspected had yellow mottle virus. I still had not learned how to reliably tell the difference between natural or benign leaf discolorations and virus-related discolorations, but I dug them out and threw them away late in the summer just to be on the safe side. It did not appear as though other cannas in the bed were affected.

This spring, I planted some new seedlings in the bed, all of which were from the same source. Now I see that those in or near the spots where the diseased ones had been have symptoms of the virus. Those in other areas, including the new ones and ones remaining from last year have no sign of it so far.

Maybe it's just by chance that only these certain new ones are showing the mottled-leaf symptom. If not, it looks like the virus survived over the winter in the soil or in detached pieces of root or rhizome that got left behind. This might be something to think about if you plan to replace sick plants with healthy ones. Meanwhile, does anybody know how long the virus can remain viable in the soil or how contaminated soil can be sterilized?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
darla74

I was wondering how it would work out to replace some infected cannas with new ones in the same location. Maybe your experience is the answer to my question. Sorry I can't answer yours.

Good luck,
Darla

Bookmark   June 27, 2006 at 9:09PM
More Discussions
Leave turning yellow & brown
Hi all I'd like some help please. About 6 weeks ago,...
Spotteddog101
storage of cannas over winter
I have have over 50 cannas that were dug up winter...
notenoughtimepegster
Canna - Clay Soil _ Fertilizer
I have a clay soil. What type of fertilizer would help...
canna1915
Canna from seed - percent success rate?
Hi! About 1 1/2 weeks ago, I prepped and planted canna...
kelli08
my cannas are only producing very small seeds
So ive been waiting for weeks for the seed pods on...
MissKayle10-3-13
Sponsored Products
Tropical Garden 17-Bulb Set
$19.99 | zulily
Black Knight Canna Root - Set of Five
$15.99 | zulily
Cosmic Canna Specialty Wall Art by Kurt Shaffer - KS008-C2232GG
$78.99 | Hayneedle
30 in. Rooster with Metal Feathers - 53275
$99.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™