Pipevine Gains and Losses

rickinla(8B SW AL)August 20, 2013

I finally found some Pipevine Swallowtail cats on my Pipevine a few days ago and moved the potted Pipevine into the barn under Metal Halide lights. The next morning of the 5 cats on the vine, 3 were missing, 1 was clearly dead, and 1 was doing well. The remai Inge cat has tripled in size.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rickinla(8B SW AL)

Today I found 5 or 6 more, transferred them to a potted Pipevine, and moved them into the barn. They are entering their 2nd instar and 1 shed after moving. Hopefully my numbers work out a little better this time, and the wasps, flies, parasites, etc stay outside.

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 11:25AM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

I'm glad you've got one healthy cat left, but I wonder what happened to the others? If your barn is as full of spiders and other critters as my garage - I'm in the country - they probably got them.

Sherry

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 11:26AM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

I hadn't read your second post when I posted, but are you sure your barn is a safe place?

Sherry

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 11:27AM
rickinla(8B SW AL)

Not spiders, no spiders in this barn. my wife is OCD about spider webs and sprays every 3 to 4 months. I think a parasite got to them since 2 were on the floor the next morning and not doing well. I hope the buzz from the lights keeps the other predators away. I hope I got the new batch in before something got to them. My potted Pipevine is too tall to cage, growing on 6ft bamboo poles and I'd rather not start cutting it up if I don't have to.

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 11:45AM
bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)

Congrats on the Pipevine cats! Lucky you. I have not had them here yet, but I am thinking that this year might be my lucky year. I am seeing a LOT of Pipevine SWT's in my yard right now. One of them is bound to find the Pipevine. I think that all sorts of critters eat caterpillars. If you really want to ensure their survival, I guess the only real way would be to take cuttings of the Pipevine and put them into water and then cage them with the cats. But, I know that you already knew that. :o) Good luck!!!
Angie

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 5:31PM
rickinla(8B SW AL)

Is this a female Pipevine Swallowtail? She was nectaring on the Butterfly Bush growing next to my Pipevine.

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 6:03PM
rickinla(8B SW AL)

Here's another shot showing the top side.

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 6:04PM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

It's a black form female tiger swallowtail. The two keys are the totally black body and the vertical tiger stripe (like males and yellow females have) that shows on her underside.

She's a beauty!

Sherry

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 6:38PM
rickinla(8B SW AL)

Well bummer, I was hoping for more cats. The ones I moved into the barn are thriving, 6 for 6 still on the potted vine.

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 7:10PM
joncongaroo(Phoenix(Ahwatukee)AZ)

It's so hot here our pv cats glow red.

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 5:19PM
Leafhead

lol
Anyone down in Florida raising any Polydamas?

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 7:47PM
rickinla(8B SW AL)

The red coloration is pretty cool. I wonder why they're that color?

My lone survivor from the 1st batch was there this morning and gone this afternoon. I'm pretty sure it wandered off to form a chrysalis. The other 6 are still on the vine and growing quickly. I think these guys grow quicker than the Gulf Fritillaries.

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 10:30PM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Sometimes my pipevine swallowtail cats would be a bit red -

Sherry

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 10:48PM
rickinla(8B SW AL)

Are these Pipevine eggs? I hope.

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 8:17AM
tom123_gw

In my garden the Polydamas cats often appear red, while the Pipevines are more black.

I have lots and lots of Polydamas. They stick around the vines and don't seem to wander away. The major control for them appears to be wasps and ants that carry away the eggs.

We got about three inches of rain yesterday. Can't remember an August that has been wetter than this one. I'm sure you are getting a lot also, Sherry.

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 8:29AM
butterflymomok(7a NE OK)

Rick,

Yes, those are PV eggs. Looks like you've got a lot of them. Have fun raising all of them.

Sandy

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 9:41AM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Yes, those are eggs, Rick, although it looks like at least one of them has hatched? Pipevine swallowtail eggs are various shades of red and are usually laid in clusters.

Congrats, congrats!!

Yes, Tom, it's rained more this year than I can remember. Usually, the bottom of the hollow doesn't have water in it in July and August, but it has this summer - after the rain, the water flows, like the little stream that's there in winter and spring.

Sherry

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 9:48AM
rickinla(8B SW AL)

That's great news. I found that group on the outside vine, plus a smaller group on a potted vine outside; both groups have been moved inside the barn. When I went back out to water the potted plants (right before the rain), I noticed another small group, they're still out in the rain. There has been a busy mama around here, hopefully she'll visit again when I'm out there.

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 10:10AM
More Discussions
Host Plants by Butterfly species
Well, everything is new here. Will post this to see...
mary_littlerockar
Snow and ice,come on spring !
Snow and ice on the ground here in arkansas today,has...
arkpollinator
Any one ready for spring?
I'm so done with winter! I'm ready for spring . This...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Monarch Caterpillars out of food!
I grow a few milkweeds for the monarch butterflies,...
SoFL Rose z10
Low desert pipevines
Has anyone had any success growing butterfly host pipevines...
joncongaroo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™