WalMart Wrong Canna

mimicubed(z7SC)June 9, 2006

I bought three packages of canna rhizomes from WalMart this spring -- Rosemond Coles; hasn't bloomed yet. Picasso; hasn't bloomed yet. And Madame Butterfly which is supposed to be a soft peachy pink. Well, it has bloomed and is the most dark electric pink flower in my garden. It's pretty, but it is not Madame Butterfly. It will be interesting to see how Rosemond Coles and Picasso turn out. To be sure you are getting the canna that you want -- only buy cannas that are blooming, not rhizomes in a bag.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

Amen to that! I couldn't agree more that you really take a chance. Heaven only knows what kind of cannas I got this year there ( because the pictures were nice and the price was right ). I do know that they are rather stunted compared to the others I have, and potted up at the same time.

I also picked up some dahlias there. They looked beautiful, but NONE of them are doing well compared to the ones I kept over and planted at the same time. I believe that at least 4 of them are compost now. My wife keeps saying, "I told you so.....".

Bookmark   June 10, 2006 at 2:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
butterflychaser(z7)

If you want named plants, don't buy from Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Every one I've ever gotten was named wrong. Lucifer canna I bought turned out to be Pink Beauty. The Catherine Woodbury daylily I bought turned out to be Rose Emily (which is actually much prettier, so I'm happy with that one.).

If you want named plants, buy from a reputable grower so you get what you pay for.

For Rosemond Cole and Mme Butterfly, try www.cannas.net. They're sold out for this year, last I heard, but they're taking orders for next year.

Karchesky Cannas probably has your Picasso.

NancyAnn

Bookmark   June 22, 2006 at 11:52AM
More Discussions
canna fermentation to make ethanol
I have read that some farms are using canna rhizomes. Does...
dirtaddshp
Re-starting tubers after cold storage
Hi, I think I've managed to over-winter my canna tuber....
dee_can1
Just had to share this
If you live in a zone where you gotta dig your cannas...
bragu_DSM 5
Leave turning yellow & brown
Hi all I'd like some help please. About 6 weeks ago,...
Spotteddog101
storage of cannas over winter
I have have over 50 cannas that were dug up winter...
notenoughtimepegster
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™