Cannas being dug up

paclockmanJune 15, 2012

Something is constantly digging up my canna tubers. We are in a country setting and have all types of wildlife around. A day or two after planting the canna tubers they are nicely dug up from the ground. They aren't eaten or even nibbled on, just dug up. Two questions...1) What would be doing this? and 2) How do I prevent it from happening? I've tried bitter apple spray and deer spray, both of which did nothing!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sicklittlemoocow

Could it be a critter looking for grubs or other soil insects, just taking advantage of the loose dirt?

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 12:02AM
grullablue(5)

Same thing happens to me. Ground squirrels here. I didn't have a big problem this spring, but last year, they wouldn't leave them alone! I bought some stuff that you sprinkle on the soil that's supposed to deter them, and rabbits, moles, etc etc...and it seemed to help them get established and large enough that they weren't dug up anymore. It annoyed me SO bad last year...

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 12:32AM
plays_in_dirt_dirt(Z7A VA bordering NC state line)

I wonder if chicken wire placed over them would help until they sprout. You could weigh down the wire with a brick or rock.

Barbara in Virginia

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 6:36PM
cashclan(7)

Try one of those plastic owls you move every couple of days, it has helped mine, you can get them at Wal-mart that have a head that moves with the wind for under 20.00. You can also try the blow up snakes and keep them in there, I don't like the snakes cause it would give ME a heart attack and not the critters.
sharon
zone 7

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 2:34PM
whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio

Most likely skunks or possum looking for grubs and worms.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 3:43PM
More Discussions
Looking for unusual cannas
especially with variegated leaves...have lots of tropicals...
Frank Flanagan
Suggestions please!
Have 30 inch tall black self watering planters. Any...
aggot
canna fermentation to make ethanol
I have read that some farms are using canna rhizomes. Does...
dirtaddshp
storage of cannas over winter
I have have over 50 cannas that were dug up winter...
notenoughtimepegster
My first Canna blooms ever! NOID. Proud momma!
Just wanted to share the gorgeousness but if anyone...
vega-lyrah
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™