Lantana reviews

butterflyman(5)August 17, 2011

This time of the year, mid-August, the champion nectar plant in my garden is lantana. Butterflies and hummingbrids both are attracted to its sweet nectar.

The four varieties pictured above are the ones I am testing out this year.

Ham and Eggs is my favorite. I really like the pink and yellow combination. It grows in pots, hanging baskets and even does pretty well in partial shade. It about medium height and makes a great display.

Chapel Hill Yellow is a new variety I' m trying out and it seems to be doing well also. It's a low-growing variety and would probably also do well in a hanging basket.

Star Landing is a very vigorous variety and right now is four foot high and three foot tall. Its bright yellow and orange is a striking color combination.

Miss Huff is the only variety which is a bit disappointing. Its color combinations are washed out and looks like a faded t-shirt. It also is very vigorous and tall, but it won't be invited back next year.

I've got a picture at the link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Lantana Picture

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bettyd_z7_va(7)

I was thinking of trying Miss Huff because it is supposed to be winter hardy in my zone. Hmmmm... I really don't want a plant that looks like a faded t-shirt when blooming.

I was checking out your Blog and saw your post on rooting willow cuttings. I am trying to root some weeping willow cuttings now and am not having much success. Do you think it would be possible now if I cut the ends off of the cuttings as you did, or should I wait till spring and use new growth?

Thanks,
Betty

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 12:48PM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Your lantanas are beautiful, Butterflyman!
Lantana is always the most popular nectar plant in my garden. The butterflies will visit others, like butterfly bush, milkweed, pentas, Mexican sunflowers, porter weed, and others, but none of them get nearly as much action as lantana.
Sherry

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 3:19PM
swallowtailgirl(7)

I love lantana! They seem to thrive no matter how hot the weather gets. I really like the Miss Huff variety because they come back every year in zone 7. I can't imagine a butterfly garden without it, at least in this area. They come back strong and healthy and they bloom consistently until frost.

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 3:56PM
swallowtailgirl(7)

I love lantana! They seem to thrive no matter how hot the weather gets. I really like the Miss Huff variety because they come back every year in zone 7. I can't imagine a butterfly garden without it, at least in this area. They come back strong and healthy and they bloom consistently until frost.

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 4:02PM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

What about the color of Miss Huff, Swallowtail Girl?
I've been wanting to order it. I've got a place up by the main road where the soil is terrible, it drains real fast, but lantana doesn't need good soil, and it does like fast drainage. I thought Miss Huff would be a good one for that area.
Sherry

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 4:58PM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

I absolutely adored 'Miss Huff'. She attracted so many visitors, including the hummers, butterflies (big and small), and the day-flying sphinx moths like the Snowberry Clearwing and Nessus, which were crazy about it. I also like the colors of orange, yellow and pink. Like all flowers, they do fade. It will keep on blooming even if you don't deadhead it. It does get very large, but I didn't care about that. Some may. Miss Huff also will not reseed in your garden like many, because the seed is sterile.

No other Lantana I've every purchased, did the work that Miss Huff did.

Susan

Bookmark   August 18, 2011 at 10:23AM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Thanks, Susan!

Sherry

Bookmark   August 18, 2011 at 10:27AM
More Discussions
This stuff is hard
I have a ten acre prairie restoration that I have made...
rollie
Any one ready for spring?
I'm so done with winter! I'm ready for spring . This...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Spring preview
Unseasonably warm temps caused early flowering of desert...
joncongaroo
Monsanto and monarchs
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/01/27/monsanto-we-are-absolutely-committed-to-monarch-butterfly-conservation/...
arkpollinator
Commercial grown Milkweed
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/02/27/mega-grower-color-spot-nursery-to-consider-growing-clean-chemical-free-milkweed/...
arkpollinator
Sponsored Products
Kichler Lantana Modern Contempo Outdoor Flush Mount
1800Lighting
Lantana Small Outdoor Wall Mount
$151.80 | Bellacor
Kichler Lantana Modern Contempo Outdoor Post Lamp
1800Lighting
Architectural Bronze Outdoor Wall 1-Light Flu
PLFixtures
Lantana Small Outdoor Wall Mount
$151.80 | Bellacor