'Florence Vaughan' or 'Roma'?

fairfield8619(Zone 8 NW LA)June 8, 2012

Who knows? These have been growing at my inlaws for at least 30 yrs, no care either. I can't tell from Googling, they look very similar to me. Leaves are on short stalks- not the like the Phaison I have. Blooms are very flat.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canna2grow

If you are asking the valid name for the pictured canna it is C. 'Roma'. Like many canna cultivars the valid name has be changed by unknowing growers or catalogers over the past 100 years. The pictured cultivar was introduced around 1895 by C. Sprenger of Dammann & Co. in Europe. At that time, Mr. Sprenger was one of the first (along with L. Burbank-California) to successfully use the canna specie flaccida as a pollen parent to cross with the Crozy introductions of that time. The cultivar Florence Vaughan was a yellow bloom with red spotting (dots) and was confused with the cultivar Roma. Through out the mid to late 20th century Roma was marketed as Florence Vaughan. In the later part of the 20th century Roma has been sold as Yellow King Humbert (which is also not valid). We now have several synonyms that have replaced the valid cultivar name in the US for many cultivars.
If you are not confused yet, do a search for C. Italia. You will find it is a near match for Canna Roma. Both of which were introduced by Sprenger.

Regards,
Kent

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 11:40PM
More Discussions
Canna ID (1)
Hello, I don't know the name of some of my cannas....
sleuthtl73
WANTED: cann's
looking for all colors of Cana. I have other flowers...
suzen221
i have seeds if you would like some
not sure how it works on here but i have plenty of...
knobrocker
cannas
I was given some cannas bulbs recently, which mean...
naturesign
Seedlings : Canna Musafolia 'Grande'
Just wanted to give a feedback. I enjoy sowing cannas....
sleuthtl73
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™