canna babies

southerngardening24(7b)June 26, 2014

I planted about 12 small canna plants (that I grew from seed in february/march indoors) a few months ago into my flower bed. Many of them have more canna growing around them lately. My question is how do they multiply from a plant grown from seed just months ago? Do they form bulbs that quickly and then bulblets?

I'm going to have a canna jungle out there. Do I need to pull out the smaller ones and replant or should I just let them fight for the space?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canna2grow

You must first understand the basic concept to canna growth and reproduction. Cannas grow and multiply from rhizome growth and not bulb or bulblet production. The underground modified stem (rhizome) develops shortly after the seed germinates. It is directly attached to the base of the seedling. All future growth depends on the rhizome growth. The underground stems that grow from the seedling will continue to produce additional flowering stalks throughout the growing season.

Seasoned growers quickly learn that it is necessary to provide plenty of growing space for each seedling transplanted. Typically we allow 14 to 18 inches between each seedling to prevent overcrowding.

Do not attempt to divide your seedling at this time. You may need to transplant them to provide more room for each plant.

Kent

Bookmark   July 1, 2014 at 12:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
southerngardening24(7b)

Thank you very much for the info! I really appreciate it!

Bookmark   July 1, 2014 at 9:37PM
More Discussions
Just had to share this
If you live in a zone where you gotta dig your cannas...
bragu_DSM 5
i have seeds if you would like some
not sure how it works on here but i have plenty of...
knobrocker
storage of cannas over winter
I have have over 50 cannas that were dug up winter...
notenoughtimepegster
cannas
I was given some cannas bulbs recently, which mean...
naturesign
Wanted Cannas
I have ginger and amaryllis and would love to trade...
nancy1fl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™