Foxglove

withjoy2u(5b)July 2, 2013

I have always admired foxglove but never had it in my garden. This year I decided to try some plants in my shady beds. I really like it. Can anyone give me tips on how to get it to come back next year? Do I plant more seeds now? Wait for it to re-seed? Buy more plants next year and view them as annuals?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
smivies

Foxgloves are very good at seeding themselves if you leave the old flower stalks. In fall, you can hear the seeds rattling about when you shake the dry stalks.
Alternatively, you could plant the perennial foxgloves which takes some of the emphasis away from have to re-seed.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 4:49PM
ShannonJ73

I bought a foxglove plant last year. I know it doesn't flower the first year but should it be flowering by now?

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 10:56AM
IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.

Be patient.....they should bloom soon....

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 11:03PM
ianna(Z5b)

These are biennials although they do last beyond 2 years. They are supposed to flower in the second year and die off by the third season but they are known to live a bit longer. You can have a succession of blooms if you plant seeds every year so once one plant dies off, another is growing and another will flower.

Now foxgloves are the souce of the drug digitalis.. Pretty but also poisonous. Just be aware of this.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 9:49PM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

Digitalis grandiflora and D. luteus are two examples of perennial foxgloves. They are both pale yellow, but grandiflora has larger flowers than luteus. They come back reliably year after year, and are true perennials. The commonly grown, cottage garden foxgloves are biennials. Allowing them to self-seed in the garden is usually all that is needed, so don't cut the flower heads off.

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 9:23AM
More Discussions
3 week old cedars browning
Had 60' worth of 8-11' white cedars installed 3 weeks...
mensreaj
Canadian Garden blogs
I would love to collect a list of Canadian garden blogs...
Crafty Gardener
Looking for a Scuffle Hoe
Hello everyone: The new anti-pesticide laws have my...
northerner_on
weed or no weed?
approx 4 ft tall any info appreciated
ralu25
test
test
Nitefall
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™