Bird Baths automaticly filled

calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9May 13, 2011

Hosting' href='http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/705/birdbathinground.jpg/'>;

This bath in the ground is a large pumice stone hollowed out and plastered, with a hole drilled for a 1/4 inch filler hose at the top. The filler hose is connected to my irrigation timer using the B zone. It fills 3 times a day for 12 minutes, the excess water overflows and makes a nice mud patch favored by butterflies. The A zone on the same timer is on a drip system that operates Mon-Wed-Fri starting at one AM. I have two more bath connected in parallel that I can't figure how to show all three at once. Al

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

Okay, very, very clever, Al! I never thought to use the sprinkler system! I bet I can do that all over my yard. Just what my husband wants - another garden project, lol!! Still have to get the greenhouse up, and my wire up for my grapevines. And, figure out how to pound 2 posts in for 2 more grapevines I just found growing underneath some rosemary I trimmed back.

Patty S.

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 10:34AM
loribee2(CA 9)

I love it, Al. I had no idea butterflies liked mud. I've actually got a spare sprinkler zone already connected to the timer that I didn't need when I converted the area to drip. Now I'm thinking about digging up one of those capped heads to water the feeders. That's a great idea.

Thanks for posting the pic! When I think bird bath I always think pedestals. But in my book on building bird gardens, they mention that birds actually prefer ground level water.

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 11:50AM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

Patty, we in California are blessed with native grape vines, that actually bear grapes about the size of BBs that have no culinary value. They are almost impossible to kill. I have had them at least 40 feet long, with a trunk as big as your wrist, that had climbed up an oak tree. When the tree fell as a result of oak root fungus, dealing with the grape vine was worse than the tree. In the garden they are frequently found growing so close to a favored shrub I can not dig them out, and so cut them off at ground level every year. No, I don't consider them a blessing!

Lori if you are going to use one of your capped sprinkler heads, remember to use a pressure reducer to get the pressure down to 10 to 20 lbs. A bird bath at ground level has only one real drawback, the birds are at risk from cats and all cover close by will need to be cleared. Al

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 2:47PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

That's a great idea! Thanks for showing that. The big problem with bird baths is keeping the water filled and your method is an excellent solution.

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 3:51PM
More Discussions
Pittosporum 'Silver Sheen'
I live in Northridge, CA which is located in the San...
runaround
What's the deal with milkweed
When is a good time to locate seeds or starts for milkweed?...
sf_rhino
little green worms on roses
Larvae of what? They seem to be going for the buds...
bettyn_gardener
Hayward Papaya.
You could knock me over with a feather. In the bay...
stanofh
So Cal - TOP 3 Tomatoes
If you live in Southern California, and you could plant...
Baby G (Z10, 300?CH, SoCal-LA)
Sponsored Products
Farrand Wall-Mount Bathroom Sink
Signature Hardware
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Surya Rugs angelo:HOME Carmine 8 ft. x 10
Home Depot
Purple Lunch-to-Go Tub
$11.99 | zulily
Spring Forward Shower Curtain
| Dot & Bo
Lacquer Tray
$34.00 | Horchow