What about OE?

docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)August 13, 2011

I've not heard anyone talking about this dreaded parasite this year. The reason I bring it up is that I've got so many cats right now, that it would be much easier for me to have one big container with all the cats and chrysalids together. Up until now, I've been keeping some groups together, that I collected as very small cats, and putting any new eggs or cats into smaller containers to keep them somewhat isolated. This way, if I have any infected cats, they won't ruin all the work I've done, just whatever is in their particular container. I don't even know if I could identify a sick butterfly if I had one, so maybe I'm just wasting my time and not helping the problem much anyway. Any comments?

Martha

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ericwi

This affliction will usually show up when the chrysalis is formed, as dark patches or dark lines that appear early in the development. Sometimes a normal looking adult will eclose, slightly smaller than expected, and lacking vigor. My opinion is that each monarch should be hand reared in an individual container, and that milkweed leaves should be thoroughly washed and dried before being fed to caterpillars. I typically hand rear and release 10 butterflies per season, although I might attempt 12 to achieve that result.

Bookmark   August 13, 2011 at 7:49PM
More Discussions
Camera settings for butterflies...part III
The quality of your photographs relies on proper settings...
bob_71
Anyone have advice on wood pupators?
Was out gathering food for my cecropias the other day...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
Camera settings for butterfly photography
One of the finest pieces of marketing I have ever witnessed...
bob_71
One Butterfly Deformed.
January 31, 2,015, at 1:30 p.m., in the afternoon.........
woollybear69
Florida Butterflies.
I have posted before. I live in Sarasota, Florida and...
jane__ny
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™