Bengal Tiger, canna virus (photos)

stephanie_kay(5a IL)July 29, 2009

I just got a piece of Bengal Tiger given to me and after I planted it last evening I started thinking it looked like it might have a canna virus. I hate the thought of tossing it but I have my other canna to think of.

Stephanie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marquest(z5 PA)

You said it was given to you. Any new plant I usually plant in an area that I use as a holding area.

Cannas... you could put it in a pot with good soil water it with 1 tablespoon of epsom salt in a gallon of water and see how the plant performs. It could just be stressed from being dug up or being grown in a over crowed condition.

I think we panic far to much and destroy plants when it might not be necessary. JMHO.

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 11:51AM
stephanie_kay(5a IL)

Marquest,

They are in the ground but away from my other canna's a bit.

Though I only got them yesterday, they looked like this before I dug them out and the other ones look the same. Not all the leaves look bad. But I remember last year that they looked kind of bad and I wondered at that time if they may have a virus.

Perhaps they just have a few odd looking leaves.

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 3:28PM
marquest(z5 PA)

I was just saying looking bad could be bad treatment. If cannas do not get enough moisture, grown in good soil or fertilized the leaves look bad.

I did not want to give you the impression that I would rule out that they are virused but maybe they needed some extra care.

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 9:12PM
stephanie_kay(5a IL)

That is why I was wondering, because I know they come from where they do get full sun, watered every day, great soil. They are in a different spot from last year but I still worry that it maybe a virus. Though they are given good care, I do not know if they know enough about canna virus or pay enough attention to know that the canna may have it. Does that make since.

I did not take offense to your first answer I was just sharing more info with you and anyone else that may answer.
As much as I like them I have other canna growing and do not want to infect them if this is a virus.

Stephanie

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 9:43PM
silit

Important note-
Most of the Canna's viruses are not moving from plant to plant by insects, but by unclean knives when you propagate it vegetatively.
There's no need to dig it off.

Bookmark   August 13, 2009 at 3:56AM
More Discussions
canna ratty
Hello my canna were divided and split and cut back...
dennisoates
Leaf rollers
I had one canna this year that had leaf rollers in...
goldenbuckeye
Canna - Clay Soil _ Fertilizer
I have a clay soil. What type of fertilizer would help...
canna1915
My first Canna blooms ever! NOID. Proud momma!
Just wanted to share the gorgeousness but if anyone...
vega-lyrah
i have seeds if you would like some
not sure how it works on here but i have plenty of...
knobrocker
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™