When will my Canna produce a seed?

RookieGardner(z6 NY)July 10, 2005

Thank you all for the responses to my previous post. I was wondering when will my Canna produce it's seeds, and where will they be located? Also if anyone has a source where I could purchase seeds please let me know, I am interested in buying a few different varieties.

Thank You Again

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skygardening(z9 FL)

Seed pods appear at the top after the flower dies off. It takes longer to grow them from seeds. Cannas multiply nicely. They can be devided in the fall in your area. And stored over the winter. The best way to do this is to dig up the clump and put it in water and clean off all the dirt. Then you can see the rhizomes and separate them. Let them dry out for at least a week before putting them in a box with air holes. Store in a cool place until spring.
Sky~~

Bookmark   July 10, 2005 at 9:07AM
jenna1(AZ)

What kind of canna do you have?

Jenna

Bookmark   July 10, 2005 at 2:30PM
weatherguy(z6 Illinois)

Some cannas don't produce viable seeds, please tell us the variety you have...

WeatherGuy

Bookmark   July 10, 2005 at 2:34PM
RookieGardner(z6 NY)

I'm really not sure what kind I have... The first one pictured is supposed to produce a yellow flower and right now is approx. 5 feet tall. The second one pictured has an orange flower and is approx. 2 1/2 feet tall but it really has never done well at least that's what I think. I also have a Tropicana that I recently bought. Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Bookmark   July 10, 2005 at 4:26PM
jenna1(AZ)

For sure, Tropicanna won't produce seeds. I've been growing Trops since they were first introduced and have yet to see one seed. But they spread so rapidly that you don't have to worry about getting a good stand the following year.

I'm sorry I don't know what the others are. But you could try to see if they set seed by not cutting the faded flower heads off. If they are going to give you seeds, you'll see them when the dried, round pods split open. They will be dark roundish, hard seeds.

Jenna

Bookmark   July 10, 2005 at 6:51PM
jaceysgranny(7aAR)

Check out Karchesky Canna for seeds. They sell some of their and I think the price is $3 for 6 seeds. http://www.karcheskycanna.com/
There you will find the page with the types listed that they sell seeds for.

Nancy

Bookmark   July 10, 2005 at 6:58PM
More Discussions
knobrocker
another use for 100 mph tape
Scarification we've all been there. But No matter what...
bragu_DSM 5
When right time to cut down
I have about four or five Canna's growing in a 3' x...
boothbay
Suggestions please!
Have 30 inch tall black self watering planters. Any...
aggot
Seedlings : Canna Musafolia 'Grande'
Just wanted to give a feedback. I enjoy sowing cannas....
sleuthtl73
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™