I'm so glad I grew a brug

filixJune 25, 2011

I bought a Charles G. from logees about 8 months ago. It is about 6' tall and has at least 50 buds. Its been blooming since late winter. It's hard to belive it was just a tiny 6 inch plant last fall. No wonder why you folks here in this forum love them so much. I made two cuttings so far, and one is 3 feet with a few buds on it. They are easy to root. I'm told this is one of the easy ones to grow. I'm planning on cutting them back, and maybe leaving them in my unheated garage? It doesn't get any colder than 30s. Too cold? I would also like to try one or two in the ground next year. Filix.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tommysmommy(Colorado)

Great story, yes they are addictive b/c of their beauty. You have been blessed with a good bloomer. Sometimes we struggle. I believe if your garage stays 35 or above it should be fine. You don't want it to get too cold. Are you going to let it go dormant in the garage or continue growing it? That might make a difference too, others will comment. Sounds like yours is currently potted, did you move it outdoors for the summer? Inground brugmansias are very happy, do try that as well.
Thanks for posting such a positive experience!

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 5:43PM
filix

Thankyou tommysmommy. They are in Large pots. I have a plant dolly. I was planing on letting them go dormant. But I will grow some more cuttings. That pink equator looks like a great one to try. filix

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 6:32PM
chena(z8 Texas)

Congrats Filix.. Start making room the are addictive.. I hold mine dormant in the garage @ 38* and the do fine..If you are shopping at Logee's you are paying to much for to little.. There are several other places to buy from reputable dealers.. Burgmansia Growers international ($15 membership fee but well worth it), Agrayha Gardens @ ebay, Country Gardens, Fred Sommers @ ebay also The Plant Exchange who also has a FB page .. offering just for the price of postage.. Kasha here at GW (Kathy) has an online store as well.. Come Fall alot of us send out cuttings for postage or trade.. Just a thought!! ;0)

Kylie

Bookmark   June 26, 2011 at 5:00PM
filix

Thanks Kylie. I saw last fall that some did the postage thing. I almost did it. But chickend out. I have so many plants that I bring in and out already. But now that I know that brugs can be just put to sleep for the winter, that makes it much easier. And they are so worth it. I think it was Kasha that I almost got them from. Maybe this fall she could help me out. And this time I won't chicken out. Filix.

Bookmark   June 26, 2011 at 7:59PM
chena(z8 Texas)

LOL!!! I'm gonna keep an eye on you come Fall..;0)

Kylie

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 11:25AM
filix

Please do! :)

Filix

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 8:22PM
More Discussions
Brugmansia cuttings
Hi I am trying to see if anyone has brugmansia cuttings...
marcie_new
Angel Trumpet Plant Help Please!
This is a plant my mother gave me right before she...
kevbridg
Anyone have Painted Lady cuttings?
As common as painted lady used to be i am having trouble...
xeriscape8321
WANTED: Rooted Cuttings. Any Variety
I spent a small fortune on small UNROOTED cuttings,...
poohbearlvr
How many cuttings in one pot?
I have 12 cuttings in water that have lengthy roots...
bdw75
Sponsored Products
DW 3528 Single Row LED Strip Light 240/m 10mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
Oil Rubbed Bronze Single Handle Bathroom Faucet
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
Paris Market Table in Gold
Grandin Road
Terzani | Etoile Large Suspension Light
YLighting
Lithonia Lighting 50-Watt A17 Metal Halide Replacement Light Bulb OMHL 50 M6
$27.97 | Home Depot