canna disease

helenh(z6 SW MO)July 30, 2008

I got some dwarf cannas this spring in bags at Wal-Mart. They are in pots not near my cannas in the ground. I have noticed all year the leaves are puckered and the green one has yellow streaks. I am thinking of digging them up and burning them. One red leafed plant looks good. I don't know whether to kill it or not. I read about the canna virus; they fit the description.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatbaldguy

Destroy all infected plants. Even those only suspect of being infected. That is what I do. Purchase only from reliable virus free sources, and quarantine those plants/rhizomes well away from your uninfected plantings. My collection has been decimated. I'm down to a single variety now.

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 7:31PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I think you are correct. I kept buying hosta after the virus scare. I used to have a huge sum and substance and others. I don't know if it was the virus, but something happened.

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 10:53PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I have just begun to appreciate canna; it is disappointing that this virus has popped up. I would not like to risk my tropicanna; I love them. I probably won't buy any more. I wonder if the virus can come through the seed. I see instructions on growing from seed on this forum.

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 11:07PM
fatbaldguy

From what I've recently read, yes the virus are trasmitted via seed. There are some who dispute it, and I have no first hand knowledge in that regard.

To date, I haven't read anything about virus being transmitted through the soil.

Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 4:37AM
More Discussions
canna fermentation to make ethanol
I have read that some farms are using canna rhizomes. Does...
dirtaddshp
WANTED: cann's
looking for all colors of Cana. I have other flowers...
suzen221
Three weeks, 6 of 16 germinated
I started mine this year on jan 1. I scarified and...
bragu_DSM 5
My first Canna blooms ever! NOID. Proud momma!
Just wanted to share the gorgeousness but if anyone...
vega-lyrah
Wanted 2 foot canna
I'm looking for a dwarf canna that only gets about...
goldenbuckeye
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™