Canna ID

GAV65July 13, 2014

Can anyone help by IDing a variety of this Canna? I found a plant that looks identical to the plant in the attached image. I am beginning to think it is just wild Canna indica and is not of a specific variety.

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canna2grow

Well it might have been better if we could see a photo of the canna you found but for whatever it is worth: there are several related forms of the canna specie canna indica as well as several other distinct canna species.

To be truthful, there are very few highly trained taxonomists capable of correctly identifying all these specie plants.

The picture canna appears to me to be (or a close relative):

Canna indica var. warszewiczii: This variety is distinguishable from C. indica var. indica by having purple-red-margined leaves, purple-red fruits and slightly corm-like thickened terrestrial stem at the base. Additionally to this, there are normally two staminodes , recurved backwards, and the stamen is often strongly reflexed at the apex. These characteristics are fairly stable in this taxon.

This particular canna was thought to be crossed (pre 1900) with some of the other specie cannas or their offspring to produce many of our hybrid cultivars of today. It is still propagated by some gardeners and will breed true from seed.

Kent

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 10:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GAV65

Thank you for your information

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 12:00AM
More Discussions
canna ratty
Hello my canna were divided and split and cut back...
dennisoates
Looking for unusual cannas
especially with variegated leaves...have lots of tropicals...
Frank Flanagan
Canna from seed - percent success rate?
Hi! About 1 1/2 weeks ago, I prepped and planted canna...
kelli08
Three weeks, 6 of 16 germinated
I started mine this year on jan 1. I scarified and...
bragu_DSM 5
My first Canna blooms ever! NOID. Proud momma!
Just wanted to share the gorgeousness but if anyone...
vega-lyrah
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™