Is this their maximum height?

petpalikali(WI-Z4)July 4, 2008

It's my first year growing Cannas, so forgive what may be a silly question. I don't know what kind they are, hence the mystery, but they are beginning to bloom! Woo Hoo! They are only about 30 inches tall, including the bud. The question is, is this their maximum height? I was sort of hoping they would get at least 4 feet, to cover the fence. Will they continue to grow taller?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_bonzo

A stalk will not get any taller after it puts out a bloom. However, thats not to say that future stalks will not get higher than 30 inches, it depends on the type of canna and how much sun, heat, water, etc it receives. I wouldn't think that the same canna would get as tall in Wisconsin as it would in Florida, but I can't say I've done or read anything to actually back that up.

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 7:18PM
petpalikali(WI-Z4)

So John, I should cross my fingers for a taller next stalk? Maybe I'll try to give them some extra water as well. Never having grown Cannas, or any tuber, I just don't know what to expect from my mystery plants. From the look of the buds, I'm guessing they'll be red. Thanks for the info, and the lightning speed response! I just love GardenWeb!

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 10:24PM
john_bonzo

Extra water and maybe throw in some nitrogen couldn't hurt. Did any buds open up any today to see a color?

Bookmark   July 5, 2008 at 5:28PM
nucci60(6 Ma.)

If you want tall cannas, just buy a named variety that grows tall.If you have a dwarf variety, it will never get to 5 or 6 feet.

Bookmark   July 6, 2008 at 9:46AM
weirdtrev

It has been my experience that location has a lot to do with how the cannas grow. When I plant cannas along the road they get get to at most 4 feet and don't always bloom. Cannas on the south side of the house get to 5 or 6 feet and bloom. And in this one magical spot on the NW side of the house they get to 7 or 8 feet. This is all one variety from one original clump. The 8 foot tall ones are monsterous with 2.5'x 1' leaves and they bloom forever the flower spike never seems to stop branching. I wish I knew what caused them to do so well in that one spot. Also the monsterous cannas continue to send up new shoots throughout the year and everywhere else they send up shoots only in the spring and that is is until frost.

Bookmark   July 23, 2008 at 12:24AM
More Discussions
Leave turning yellow & brown
Hi all I'd like some help please. About 6 weeks ago,...
Spotteddog101
Suggestions please!
Have 30 inch tall black self watering planters. Any...
aggot
Canna ID (1)
Hello, I don't know the name of some of my cannas....
sleuthtl73
WANTED: cann's
looking for all colors of Cana. I have other flowers...
Susan Levy
Just had to share this
If you live in a zone where you gotta dig your cannas...
bragu_DSM 5
Sponsored Products
Dive Bar Stool in Red
$169.00 | LexMod
Orange22 | Minimal Float Wall Desk
YLiving.com
T3 Source Shower In-line Filter
$70.00 | FRONTGATE
Green Tinged Handled Glass Beverage Dispenser
Classic Hostess
Englacha 2-in-1 Cozy B Rider - 06012014-1
$129.99 | Hayneedle
Up and Down Barstool
Italy Design
Duvet Cover Twill Toddler from DiaNoche Designs by Madame Memento - Peacock Butt
$99.00 | DiaNoche
Estiluz | T-2996 Siso Pendant Light
YLighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™