Canna virus

bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)July 28, 2012

For the first time, my Cannas (one variety given to me so I don't know what it is) are growing absolutely great this year. So I had decided to get some new varieties for next year. While researching various types, sources, etc. I came across a lot of postings about canna virus. What's the current situation? Is there a cure now? Is it really a big threat?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canna2grow

Bill,

The general situation remains much the same. Most growers are now very aware of the problem and a few are making progress towards the elimination of contaminated planting stock. In some ways it is somewhat like trying to eliminate the common cold. There is no cure for a virused plant. At the present time the answer lies with trying to find clean plants for a planting stock foundation, tissue cultured explants that have been virus indexed or growing new cultivars from clean seed and virus indexing.
All the above is both very time consuming and expensive. The chance of recontamination is always present.

The consumer must be aware of the problem and assuming their plants are clean they need to become familiar with the virus symptoms and grow any new plants somewhat isolated from the clean stock. Choose your supplier carefully and expect to pay a premium for clean stock. It is necessary to destroy any virused plants found.

Regards,
Kent

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 10:11PM
ctreynard(Zone 6--Chicopee, MA)

Bill and Kent, thanks to each of you f succinct question and answer, respectively. Are there any reliable sellers at this point?

Thank you again.

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 7:37AM
miketropic

there is a new product that will be out next year to keep the virus dormant for a few months each dose.. I wouldnt go out and buy a virus canna on purpose but if you can't seem to find a clean plant of the kind you want Id get it anyway and wait it out

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 6:13PM
Maria2013(5)

do you know any details about this product? Where should I look for it?

Thanks

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 9:15PM
More Discussions
Three weeks, 6 of 16 germinated
I started mine this year on jan 1. I scarified and...
bragu_DSM 5
Leave turning yellow & brown
Hi all I'd like some help please. About 6 weeks ago,...
Spotteddog101
i have seeds if you would like some
not sure how it works on here but i have plenty of...
knobrocker
canna fermentation to make ethanol
I have read that some farms are using canna rhizomes. Does...
dirtaddshp
cannas
I was given some cannas bulbs recently, which mean...
naturesign
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™