black lace shrub

motts60July 6, 2006

I have 5 black lace shrubs that I planted 4 weeks ago. They have only grown about 6 inches, I was told that they would grow like a weed. They are planted in full sun. What fertilizer should I use to promote growth or is this normal for an elderberry bush.

Thank-you

Mary ann

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wayner2000(5b Ontario)

Hi Mary Ann, I planted mine in May and it hasn't grown that much. I have started using Miracle-Gro in hopes it will take off..........Wayne

Bookmark   July 6, 2006 at 6:38PM
marricgardens

I bought one and planted it in May or June. Mine hasn't grown that much either, yet. I think they will when they get established. Keeping my fingers crossed! I fertilize mine with Aggrand. Marric

Bookmark   July 7, 2006 at 7:46AM
bonniepunch(USDAz4 AgCanz5a)

Those are beautiful, aren't they! I wish had room for one!

If your new shrubs aren't growing that much this year, I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as you see some new growth, and you have planted it correctly, it's probably just settling in with new root growth this first year. Most perennial plants, and that includes trees and shrubs, don't really take off until the second year after you have planted them.

I wouldn't recomment fertilizing it at this point, beyond some compost or something similar, added as mulch. While it's establishing itself, you don't want it to put out green growth at the expense of root growth - those roots are way more important than new leaves and branches right now. If you do want to use something more than compost, avoid any high nitrogen fertilizers!!

BP

Bookmark   July 7, 2006 at 5:09PM
More Discussions
BC palm trees VS S. ON polar vortex
Us poor residents of Toronto have suffered a bad winter...
Paul_Ont
What to do with a swampy yard - new homeowner needs ideas!
My yard is a wet sponge. I have a lovely crop of skunk...
jbobs
weed or no weed?
approx 4 ft tall any info appreciated
ralu25
Looking for a Scuffle Hoe
Hello everyone: The new anti-pesticide laws have my...
northerner_on
Tayberry plants
Hi fellow garderners, I used to order Tayberry plant...
maskoutain
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™