Please tell me this isn't virus????

Jennifer525(7a)July 11, 2013

Hi ... My friend brought me this tropicanna out of her tropicanna bed because she knew I had been wanting one. Well Im praying its looking like this because I haven't had time to plant it yet.... Please tell me that's what it is.... Well I'm praying that... What do you think it is... Please help?!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canna2grow

Jennifer,

Sorry to say but that is one ugly Tropicanna? This plant appears to have several issues and a virus infection may be part of the problem. The venial streaking often indicates viral infection but on Tropicanna we typically see rich burgundy color interspaced with bold yellow green streaks.
This plant looks like it was stored somewhere with little or no sunlight, preventing photosynthesis for a period of time. Just how long have you had the plant and where/how was it stored?

Possible suggestions:
If you have other healthy cannas, do not grow close. Assuming the underground rhizome is viable, cut entire plant about four inches above the ground and allow new growth to begin. New growth may originate from the old stalk and/or from a rhizome offshoot.
Once new growth begins and has produced a few leaves get back with us.

Good luck,

Kent

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 12:42AM
More Discussions
how fast do cannas grow from seed?
I have filed some seeds as well as the edges of my...
christie_sw_mo
i have seeds if you would like some
not sure how it works on here but i have plenty of...
knobrocker
Wanted Cannas
I have ginger and amaryllis and would love to trade...
nancy1fl
Just had to share this
If you live in a zone where you gotta dig your cannas...
bragu_DSM 5
My first Canna blooms ever! NOID. Proud momma!
Just wanted to share the gorgeousness but if anyone...
vega-lyrah
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™