Pot size recommendations?

GreenHearted(5a IL)July 3, 2014

A friend gave me some canna tubers and I'd like plant them in a pot that I can bring inside for the winter. I've never grown cannas and am not sure which canna I have. The plants she has are 3-4" tall, plain green leaves and red flowers (that description probably does not narrow it down!)

My question is what is best sized pot for these? I'd love a manageable enough size to lug down to the basement without help. How much room do they need for their roots?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canna2grow

Growing cannas (well) in containers requires more effort and the understanding of some of the limitations as well as the benefits. Cannas generally exhibit fast growth and typically reach 3.5 to 5 feet tall, therefore they need space, a plentiful water supply, sunny location and abundant nutrition. Your container needs at least about 4 to 5 gallons of good potting soil. The container must be designed to not be easily tipped over by the winds and the soil mix should be airy enough to absorb and hold moisture easily with drain holes in the bottom. Many growers actually set their growing containers in a shallow pan that holds extra water; otherwise be prepared to water daily.

Container grown cannas typically need to be divided each year or your results will suffer. They will multiply just the same as in ground plants if well grown.

For winter storage I would suggest in late fall allow the soil to dry and remove the top foliage growth. This will greatly lighten the load for moving to a cool storage location.

Kent

Bookmark   July 5, 2014 at 11:48PM
GreenHearted(5a IL)

Kent, I appreciate the information. I planted them in 15" pots because that is what I had (1 tuber per). Hopefully, this will suffice. A shallow tray for water is great idea!

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 12:28PM
GreenHearted(5a IL)

Oh, and in my original post, I meant 3-4 feet tall, not inches!

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 12:29PM
More Discussions
Wanted 2 foot canna
I'm looking for a dwarf canna that only gets about...
goldenbuckeye
cannas
I was given some cannas bulbs recently, which mean...
naturesign
canna fermentation to make ethanol
I have read that some farms are using canna rhizomes. Does...
dirtaddshp
Seedlings : Canna Musafolia 'Grande'
Just wanted to give a feedback. I enjoy sowing cannas....
sleuthtl73
Canna ID (1)
Hello, I don't know the name of some of my cannas....
sleuthtl73
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™