Summer started...

stanofhMay 5, 2010

It's as summer as it gets in the eastbay-mid 70's high,low to mid 50's lows..Now,its fertilizing and repotting time. Time to dig up and transplant the subtropical things. I just did a plant that happened to be between cats and where they wanted to go-too many broken stems resulted. Now,safely potted.

In the veggie garden, seeds from last years unharvested zukes are sprouting..No need to buy them.

And the soil is perfect still for weeding...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

The rush is on to get the weeding done and the soil mulched before the winter time moisture is lost. This year the shear quantity of weed growth must be setting a new record. Al

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 8:39AM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

I gave up on the front zoysia. The oxalis can have it.
Renee

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 10:41PM
queerbychoice(USDA 9a/Sunset 8 (CA))

Summer starts when my spring annuals die of drought. Since they're drowning before the drought can get to them, they won't be around to die of drought. Therefore, summer will not arrive at all this year.

I need to re-mulch the back, weed the front, move/remove some ugly landscaping rock in the side yard, plant everything that's currently potted, and construct an experimental bridge over the drainage ditch. The rock is the part that I'm dreading, but it has to be done soon so I can plant my newest golden currant there.

Bookmark   May 7, 2010 at 7:05PM
stanofh

QBC,you have an exceptional vernal pool yard!
Here,I'm watering again..not much,but just trying to keep things steady before deep summer gets here...
Rain on Moms day? darn el nino wont give up!

Bookmark   May 8, 2010 at 12:25PM
Min3 South S.F. Bay CA

QBC we moved to a house in the '70's that had hideous red lava rock 'mulch' in all the front beds. i paid the smaller neighborhood kids some money per bucket full (and also ice cream when they finished the job) to get the rocks out and it was worth every penny since the kids were already closer to the ground than i was.
min

Bookmark   May 9, 2010 at 1:07PM
More Discussions
Native ground cover for San Jose area
Hello! Would love some suggestions for a Bay Area (inland)...
Sheila Schmitz
Please help, sick ficus tree
Hi, I have a potted ficus tree for over 20 years. It...
johnthelandlord
Mango trees in SoCal?
Has anyone successfuly grown any type of mango tree...
wetfeet101b
Growing canker on plum and nectarine trunks
I have a small back yard orchard, most of which was...
Aaron Davidsson
Lattice grid pavers and what to plant
Using these to make a walkway in the alley that connects...
oberci
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™