Egg-laying season

molanic(Zone 5 IL)August 22, 2014

Just curious if anyone has a source with this info or has any records they kept themselves. I have seen listed in some books the number of broods or generations different species will have a year. These generations are staggered of course, but I'm just wondering about the earliest and latest dates for egg laying for the different species in different areas.

I am still finding monarch eggs as recently as a couple of days ago here near Chicago, but nothing else for quite some time. I had a big increase in male and female tiger swallowtails the last couple of weeks. I had hoped to find some eggs on my wafer ash or wild black cherry, but there were no takers. I don't know if it was just too late, or if the plants were not big enough for them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

We've gotta be nearing the end of egg cycles, because as far as I know, all butterflies that overwinter, overwinter in pupal stage. They have to feed some time (maybe a month or so) to reach that stage.

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 12:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BERGER123(4b-5a)

Hi
Monarchs lay up until the middle of September. Tigers lay if there is host but I've found black swallowtails at third instar as late as October so I don't know but I do know that they have broods but I don't trust what my book says cause I saw a tiger swallowtail practically every day and my book says they have two broods mid May to mid June and then mid July to mid august but I have seen them today and I don't think there is a set time of egg laying.
Jacob

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 11:36PM
More Discussions
Snow and ice,come on spring !
Snow and ice on the ground here in arkansas today,has...
arkpollinator
Urgent!
I am worried about my Cecropia cocoon because I went...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Zebra Longwing Butterfly.
This is a photo, of a beautiful, Zebra Longwing Butterfly,...
woollybear69
Is everyone ready for upcoming SPRING????
I am in Florida. I already made a flower bed inside...
angelimperfect36
Spring Azure!
I was working outside on this clear day, and I saw...
misssherry
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™