My 1st Cannas and leaf rollers

Sheri_MS(z8 MS)July 22, 2005

I bought two cannas this summer from a garden shop and I have a rolled up and stitched leaf on one. My daughters and I have a butterfly garden on the other side of the house so I am debating just leaving it be and letting them watch the process. BUT I don't want to lose my plants entirely. I have since planted some other canna rhizomes which are starting to sprout. Will the leaf rollers take over? Should I snip the leaf off and trash it? What if I cut off the leaf and move it somewhere away from the other cannas? Too many questions. . . . .

Sheri

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
merryd

Sorry this isn't an answer but another question. I just got some cannas out of someones yard and were not planted yet. Noticed they have rollers with some yucked up leaves. I used the hose to wash off the yuck and found 3 catipillers together in one of the leaves. The question is-how small can the worm be and how deep will they go-so if by pulling back the leaf and hoseing out all the spaces within the small unrolled leaves without seeing the worm can I assume they have moved on?

Also, I planted some corms from Wal Mart and only the yellow ones have rollers too. Could the critters have been in the bag with the corms and peat moss? If so is there a dunk solution that would help?

Bookmark   July 23, 2005 at 9:02PM
tamivileine(z8b OS,MS, US)

I am in OS, so should be near y'all, Sheri

We purchased at Lowe's some stuff called "Dipel Dust." It is Bacillus thuringensis (sp?) aka 'Bt.' Powder it on the canna leaves, the rollers are gone

I still have butterflies on the other plants, and I don't powder the canna flowers, so I don't think this stuff is an issue for the butterflies

I can say, tho, that pulling the leaves doesn't work, and the leaf rollers will FLAT eat all your cannas if you don't do something.

sea ya
tami

Bookmark   July 25, 2005 at 8:53PM
Xeramatheum

In previous posts there has been very detailed discussion about leaf rollers and how to control them so yesterday when I discovered some of my canna had stitched leaves I put a stop to it right there. I cut off the rolled leaves to ground level then sprayed the heck out of everything with orthenex, tops bottoms and inbetweens. I then sprayed the cut leaves making sure the spray got into the rolled tube then folded them over into little small packages and stomped on them and threw them in the garbage veteran canna growers have gotten me paranoid about those suckers. I wanted to make sure they were dead. For the next few days I will be keeping an eagle eye out for stitched leaves.

X

Bookmark   July 26, 2005 at 10:35PM
More Discussions
canna fermentation to make ethanol
I have read that some farms are using canna rhizomes. Does...
dirtaddshp
Not to brag, but...
I scarified 12 canna seeds (very common old-fashioned...
tomtuxman
Three weeks, 6 of 16 germinated
I started mine this year on jan 1. I scarified and...
bragu_DSM 5
cannas
I was given some cannas bulbs recently, which mean...
naturesign
Canna - Clay Soil _ Fertilizer
I have a clay soil. What type of fertilizer would help...
canna1915
Sponsored Products
Domi Satin Nickel One-Light Mini Pendant with Vanilla Matte Glass
$193.50 | Bellacor
Metropolitan Bella Flora 38 1/4" Wide Silver Mist Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Virtu MD-2272-WMSQ-WH-012 Bath Vanity in White with Carrara Marble Top
Blue Bath
'I Love You Because' Clip Frame
$13.99 | zulily
3-Light Pendant Brushed Nickel
PLFixtures