Wilting Flowers

cannanewbieJuly 19, 2006

I inherited a stand of orange & yellow canna (Konigen Charlotte?) with the house I bought last summer. I love the plants but have been disappointed by the rapidly wilting/dropping flowers. Within a day or two of blooming they turn brown & fall off. They've also been eaten by Japanese beetles but this seems to be a separate issue. Is this normal behavior or are the plants suffering from a disease? They're planted in a bed next to the house that stays wet to moist most of the time thanks to a nearby sprinkler head. I've treated them with an organic fungicide & insecticide with no results. The leaves & stalks seem healthy & they've produced plenty of blooms. I live in SE Virginia & the plants stayed in the ground over the winter. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zitro_joe(8)

do you have pictures. some cannas have this behavior as a common characteristic. if the bloom is falling off that is considered 'self cleaning', or maybe, if the bloom is exposed to intense heat and sun (100+ f) for several hours that might be causing the blooms to dry out and brown. right now my front yard cannas get 5 hours of sunlight but it has been between 98-105 all summer so the heat is still drying out the blooms. its hard to tell what the normal behvior of you canna is without knowing the specific type it is, so many look alike.

Bookmark   July 20, 2006 at 11:44PM
More Discussions
Suggestions please!
Have 30 inch tall black self watering planters. Any...
aggot
Three weeks, 6 of 16 germinated
I started mine this year on jan 1. I scarified and...
bragu_DSM 5
Wanted Cannas
I have ginger and amaryllis and would love to trade...
nancy1fl
i have seeds if you would like some
not sure how it works on here but i have plenty of...
knobrocker
WANTED: cann's
looking for all colors of Cana. I have other flowers...
suzen221
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™