Bud with no Y or unequal leaves

karyn1(7a)June 1, 2008

I noticed a bud on a Halo Peach but the plant hasn't Y'd and the leaf bases are all equal. Is this a variety that sets buds w/o a Y? I took a pic but haven't loaded it yet. I'll post it later this evening.

Karyn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chena(z8 Texas)

Halo Peach.. Did that come from 7S7.. I have seen him list them B4..VERY COOL!!!! Please post pic's!!!
Kylie

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 9:16PM
karyn1(7a)

I do think that I got it from Willy. Here it is.
Karyn

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 9:33PM
karmahappytoes

That is odd, can we see more leaves? I trust you and just would love to see this as it goes against all that we know or have been told.

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 10:40PM
fool4flowers(8)

I don't know but it pretty, lol.

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 10:41PM
karyn1(7a)

It's too dark now but I can take a pic tomorrow. It's not very big, maybe 14" and all the leaves are even and no y not even any branching, weird!
karyn

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 10:59PM
davidwv(z6SouthernWV)

Karyn and others,

This does go against the conventional wisdom of what we have been taught, however it does happen on the very rare occasion.

What has caused this is that this cutting was taken from the fruiting or blooming potion of the plant, not from the vegetative part of the plant. I am almost 100% sure that as the plant continues to grow it will start to show asymmetrical (uneven) leaves near the buds. If it does not then it is really out of the ordinary.

Alistair over at ABADS could explain this in better detail than I can, because he has a greater depth of knowledge about how the different types of plant tissue develops.

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 12:23AM
karyn1(7a)

Thanks David. I figured that there must be some reason that this happened. I'm sure the cutting was taken from above or a fork of a Y because it's blooming while still so short.
Karyn

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 6:13AM
karmahappytoes

davidwv, you did good and no other explaination is needed. Some of us know this can happen but in the past when we would say this we were told by those at ABADS that this was not possible. Anything is possible and it's should be recorded, but many times it's not. I have had this happen and I do believe the environment also has a key role in this as we see more of them from the upper part of the Brugs above the 'Y' that are not developed well bloom.

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 9:26AM
chena(z8 Texas)

Very Cool!!! Great explation Dave makes sense...
Kylie

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 10:42AM
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I have had a few do that. When I first got Rosalla there was a seedpod hanging off from the middle of the stem and no y or subequal leaves anywhere. Then it grew up about 6 more inches, then made a Y above that and made more flowers. I had a few that made flowers first, then a Y a few inches up as well.

I am thinking that the plant/cutting was actually half of a Y (taken from the flowering part of the plant)so it didn't feel it needed to make a Y.

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 12:07PM
beachplant(9b)

I've had several bud without forming a y first. One got to be close to 10' tall, had blooms hanging off the main stem, finally started sprouting some side branches, new growth from bottom so it doesn't look as weird. The very first ones I traded for all bloomed from the cuttings, some even before they rooted, I had the things sitting on bricks so the flowers didn't hang on the ground. I think it is a lot more common than we've been told. None of my plants can read and I'm pretty sure they don't listen to ABADS or visit the website.
Tally HO!

Bookmark   June 4, 2008 at 4:45PM
napdognewfie(MD zone 5b)

I've got equal leaves on my Var Peach NOID. This is one of my big overwintered & uncut plants & it has one bloom (just opened) & a bud. Some of the other branches have unequal leaves that I hope will be soon showing some buds.

Linda

Bookmark   June 4, 2008 at 6:30PM
karyn1(7a)

Tally I love it "None of my plants can read and I'm pretty sure they don't listen to ABADS or visit the website." LOL
Karyn

Bookmark   June 4, 2008 at 8:58PM
Mihirr(11)

Hi, I am Mihir from Mumbai, India. I got a few cuttings of Peach Brugmansia from a hill station nearby.

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 2:31AM
Mihirr(11)

A yr after planting and nurturing I find new strong shoots and they are now forming a Y for the first time. Cant wait to see it blooming.

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 2:34AM
eloise_ca

Congratulations Mihir in growing brugs from cuttings! I know you will be excited to see it's first blooms.

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 9:19AM
More Discussions
Here's to a great World Series tonight
Looking forward to a good World Series . Guess I'm...
BeachLorax
Dr. Seuss got a little cold
Ok, so advice - Vinyl greenhouses from Big Lots cannot...
cygnwulf
Screwed By 7servant7
Well, Take a Look At The Picture 7servant7 Is Displaying...
byrd4460
Brugmansia cuttings
Hi I am trying to see if anyone has brugmansia cuttings...
marcie_new
quick question
Should I cut off all the bottom growth so I have one...
Monzi zone 8a South Carolina
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™