How Would You...

bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MIMay 2, 2013

So I have these 3 Crassula 'Hobbit' in 2 1/2" pots. I can't make up my mind if I want them all in the same pot or put the largest one in a bonsai style pot and do something with other two. So, what would you do...

I know this is a very "personal choice" kind of thing. And at the end of the day it is my choice. I am just curious as to what others might do. Thanks for your input...

Howard

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ctreeteac(Zone 8b; rain-spewing Oregon)

The largest one looks so great I would put it in its own pot, and bonsai-style would definitely suit it.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 1:17PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

I agree...I would use a bonsai pot for at least one of them. I personally prefer single plants in a pot...but multiple plants in one pot looks great too, so I have both...Can't go wrong either way :o)

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 4:16PM
kaktuskris

I agree, I would go with the bonsai pot for one, and the other two in separate pots. Like Nancy, always prefer one plant per pot.

Christopher

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 5:20PM
sam268

I would pinch and remove the lower leaves to show a bit of trunk

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 8:40PM
lme5573

I had 3 hobbits in one 6" shallow pot, and they looked fine at first. But hobbit leaves are thick and my plants stayed bushy. Soon my dish looked like a mound of green leaves with no definition between the plants. I separated them into individual pots, and I'm much happier now. I didn't remove any lower leaves, and that may have been the way to keep them looking good in a single pot. Just my opinion. I'd love to see what you decide to do.
Lennie in MIchigan

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 9:41AM
paul_(z5 MI)

If you had a very large bonsai pot/dish -- 10 inches (approx. 25cm) in diameter or larger -- I would consider doing a mass planting. However, being as I know what sizes of bonsai pot you have (unless you recently went out and bought a few new ones beyond the ones I gave you), I would only put the largest one in a bonsai pot at this time. As Sam mentioned, remove a number of the lowest leaves after doing so to give a bit of visible trunk.

For that matter, depending on what your Hummels look like, you might want to bonsai one of them too.

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 10:14AM
More Discussions
Help root rot kills one cactus another may be next
Hi here you can see my root rotted cactus And here...
birdgerhl
Rosary plant or string of hearts help
Can I propagate from leaf? I also received a tubular....
chicagardens
Hobbit, skinny fingers or Gollum
Okay just brought this off eBay it was labeled as a...
Hamza Nobes
Succulent Growing Roots From Stem
Not sure what I should do with my plant! It has been...
chelseaw
Help needed with cutting
Hey guy I have a neighbour who has this jade first...
Hamza Nobes
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™